Racing to the finish line, junior Marley Nacco places first in her heat for the 1600 with a time of 5:21:06.
Photo Essay: Track and field dominates MCAL Trials
Emily BlockMay 3, 2024

On May 2, the varsity track and field team headed to San Rafael High School for the Marin County Athletic League (MCAL) trials. The meet...

Illustration by Charlotte Wilson
Student Phones: Addictive by Design
Elle WilsonMay 2, 2024

After a long day of school and a tiring field hockey practice, I arrive home. I have a test tomorrow and a pile of homework waiting for me....

Freshman Haley Boyarski extends her arms to block a spike (Photo courtesy of Kim Wagner)
Setting the standard: Positivity in beach volleyball
Caroline VeleyMay 1, 2024

As the warm Spring weather approaches, many indoor volleyball players look for an alternative sport to fill their schedule while enjoying the...

You’re a happy camper: The best campsites in Marin

With fall in full swing, it is a great time for Redwood students to get out and adventure. One of the main attractions this time of year is camping. Marin offers a variety of campsites, with each catering to visitors in their own unique way.

China Camp State Park:

China Camp State Park’s campsite is located in one of the most beautiful parts of Marin County. The surrounding geography is home to multiple hiking trails leading down to the beach, into the forest, and offers breathtaking views of the shore. The area is well-maintained. However, you are required to book a reservation in advance and bring your own tent. The campsite is located 20-minutes away from Redwood, making it easy to access.

Located in the woods of China Camp, the campground provides a beautiful backdrop for staying overnight.

Samuel P. Taylor State Park:

Located in the woods of Lagunitas, the campsite at Samuel P. Taylor State Park is a serious contender for the best campsite in Marin. Although you have to book a reservation and pay a fee, it has the feel of a typical campsite. There are a variety of hikes around the park to enjoy, and while you have to bring your own tents and supplies, the campsite has benches and is a great place for a weekend retreat. The only possible downside besides the $8 price is that it’s 30-minutes away from Redwood.

Nestled along the redwood trees, the campsite is great for families.

Tennessee Valley Haypress Campground:

Another popular campsite around Marin is the Tennessee Valley Campground. The site is in a grassy, clear area and away from the woods. The Haypress Campground has five different spots to choose from, offering a variety of options, but all are still part of the Tennessee Valley Campground. Unlike the other sites, this campground requires no reservation although you still have to pay an $8 fee to use it. The scenic location in Mill Valley has a view of the Redwood trees and Muir Woods and is a 25-minute drive from Redwood. 

Parked in the grassy clearing of the Marin Headlands, the Haypress Campground shows off its beauty. (Photo courtesy of Kirke Wrench)

Golden Gate Trailer Park:

Right next to Redwood, on the other side of the freeway lies the Golden Gate Trailer Park. This park is similar to the Marin RV Park as it is filled with RVs rather than tents. This trailer park has the Larkspur marsh behind it with an impressive view of the Bay. There are multi-use paths right next to the park where campers can enjoy the scenery. If you’re into serious camping, this is again, not the place for you, but it holds hidden beauty.

Sitting behind Trader Joe’s, the complex of Golden Gate Park holds an enchanting beauty.

Marin RV Park:

Located along Redwood Highway in Greenbrae, California, the Marin Recreational Vehicle (RV) Park isn’t your typical campsite. People refer to this type of camping as “glamping.” Instead of setting up your tent or going out into nature, you can camp out in an RV parking lot. While it’s still very accessible and only a 10-minute drive from Redwood, if you’re looking for tent-based serious camping, this isn’t the spot for you.

Filled with recreational vehicles (RVs), the Marin RV Park accommodates a motor-based style type of camping.

While Marin has a variety of campsites, China Camp State Park’s campsite outshines the others. Its location in the woods has the feel of a typical campsite, is safely guarded, and is easily accessible. Whether you are looking for a traditional camping spot or camping RV style, Marin has it all.