Twelve seniors were presented with awards to recognize their commitment to being outstanding high school athletes (Photo by Zoe Gister).
Redwood senior athletes recognized in new venue celebration
Charlotte LacyMay 30, 2024

On May 20, senior athletes, parents and coaches gathered at Sam’s Anchor Cafe in Tiburon to recognize and celebrate the seniors committed...

Smiling and holding their floats, seniors make the most of their lunch.
Seniors stay a-float for senior week
Hannah HerbstMay 29, 2024

On Tuesday, May 28, after a long Memorial Day Weekend and with only twelve more academic days left of school, leadership kicked off Senior...

Boys’ varsity baseball marks history with first-ever state playoff victory
Will ParsonsMay 29, 2024

On May 28, the Giants’ varsity baseball team took on the Carmel Padres in the first Norcal state playoff game in the program’s history. The...

A dough-licious journey: Donut Shops of Marin

Nothing is better than starting your day with a donut from your local donut shop. Marin County has many great donut establishments that offer unique products. Although many donut shops have significant aspects, finding the perfect one takes time and effort. Let’s take a trip throughout Marin County to find the best donut.

Donut Alley

When entering Donut Alley, you are greeted with the fantastic scent of baked goods. Donut Alley is the place to go if you’re looking for a donut near Redwood. The average donut is about $1.50, but it is a cash-only business. There is a wide variety of donuts, from donut holes to feet-shaped donuts. When taking the first bite of the glazed donut, a fresh and doughy taste fills your mouth with a very rich and flavorful donut. Their most popular donuts are the original glaze and the chocolate donut with custard filling. 

Johnny Doughnuts

Johnny Doughnuts is a trendy donut place in the southern Marin community. One of their shops is conveniently located near Redwood at the Marin Country Mart, and the other is in downtown San Rafael on 4th Street. Johnny Doughnuts was the most expensive place of them all. The average donut is around $4. However, the steep price was worth it, as this was the largest donut we sampled. The donut had a different taste and a doughier flavor than the other shops.

Big donut at Bob’s Donut Shop

Bob’s Donuts:

Founded in the 1960s, Bob’s Donuts and Pastries is a family-run enterprise. Bob’s has become a favorite location for Bay Area locals. It is located in Tam junction. Bob’s Donuts offers a delicious variety of choices, ranging from a classic glaze donut to a “Big Donut ” approximately 1 foot in diameter. For $13, one can purchase it. They also host a challenge where if one person can eat the Big Donut in under 2 minutes, they don’t have to pay and get a Bob’s Donuts shirt. We tried the Oreo donut and were thoroughly impressed. It is a cookie and cream flavor like no other. Bob’s Donuts is a bit pricey compared to the places we reviewed, but the donuts’ good taste makes up for it.

A look at the donut variety at Safeway

Safeway:

Safeway isn’t precisely a donut shop, but it serves decent donuts for a great price. For $1.29, you can get a better donut than one would think. Safeway is also near Redwood, making it an excellent location for students to visit. We tried a classic glazed donut, and it was mediocre. The thin layer of glaze did not create a fantastic donut, let alone the texture of a recently microwaved treat, and left us underwhelmed. Instead, we would recommend Bob’s, Johnny’s, or Donut Alley. So, if you are looking for a cheap and quick donut, maybe at lunch during the school day or any other time, Safeway is the place.

All of these great establishments have strengths. Specifically, Donut Alley is close to Redwood and very cheap. Johnny’s Doughnuts is outside and in the sun. Bob’s Donuts has the widest variety, and Safeway is very affordable. But no matter which shop you choose, they will all have a donut for you.