Twelve seniors were presented with awards to recognize their commitment to being outstanding high school athletes (Photo by Zoe Gister).
Redwood senior athletes recognized in new venue celebration
Charlotte LacyMay 30, 2024

On May 20, senior athletes, parents and coaches gathered at Sam’s Anchor Cafe in Tiburon to recognize and celebrate the seniors committed...

Smiling and holding their floats, seniors make the most of their lunch.
Seniors stay a-float for senior week
Hannah HerbstMay 29, 2024

On Tuesday, May 28, after a long Memorial Day Weekend and with only twelve more academic days left of school, leadership kicked off Senior...

Boys’ varsity baseball marks history with first-ever state playoff victory
Will ParsonsMay 29, 2024

On May 28, the Giants’ varsity baseball team took on the Carmel Padres in the first Norcal state playoff game in the program’s history. The...

Students enjoy a lakeside view during 2024 Prom night

Zoe Gister
Students wait to enjoy abundant bites from the Lake Chalet Seafood Bar and Grill.

On Saturday, April 20, waves of party buses and limousines carried never-ending streams of sequins and dress shirts to illuminate the joy of Prom night. 

Across the bay, students gathered under the glittering lights for a memorable night of glamor, festivity and celebration. Nearly 30 miles away, Prom was held at Oakland’s Lake Chalet Seafood Bar and Grill. 

The venue spanned almost 13,000 square feet, with over 2,500 square feet of outdoor space, but even so, Junior Devyn Johnson found the layout of the venue to be an issue.

“My only criticism is that I thought the venue was a little too small for everyone, especially while leaving… All of the hallways were long and thin, and there weren’t any big open spaces. So, while walking around we had to push and stop and apologize to everyone before continuing to shove our way through,” Johnson said.

Despite the venue’s crowded atmosphere, students still managed to steal the spotlight of the evening with their stunning dresses and outfits. One attendee, junior Zac Viola, commented that this was his favorite part of Prom as a whole.

“My favorite thing was getting to see everyone dressed up,” Viola said.

Johnson also notes that Prom is more than just a big party but an opportunity to spend time with the school community.

“Of course, it’s nice to get all dressed up, but the reason people like going to things like homecoming and prom is just to have fun with friends. In those moments when you’re sitting down, and you may have just finished dancing or eating and you’re just spending time with each other is really where there’s the most value,” Johnson said. 

Johnson adds that events like Prom may have more value for students’ mental health and well-being than it may seem.

“Junior year has been one of the most stressful academic years for all of my friends and I, and everyone else. Every week is filled with new tests or [assignments], and I think at that moment, just getting to be so carefree was so nice. To see each other just sing and dance, and especially see people from school who are normally shy and quiet, be so out of their shell, and be with their friends and having fun were the best moments of the night,” Johnson said. 

As Johnson described, nights like Prom, the annual Back to School Dance, and H

omecoming are imperative stress relievers for busy and burnt-out high school students. These opportunities give students an event to look forward to, and a night to dance away all of the end-of-year anxieties. 

All in all, the night went off without a hitch, with wonderful experiences for every student there. From a Dippin’ Dots stand to a slow-motion camera, this event was a necessary and welcome de-stressor for most upperclassmen, and students are already excited to see what next year’s Prom brings.

“I really needed it. I already can’t wait for next year,” Viola said.