Twelve seniors were presented with awards to recognize their commitment to being outstanding high school athletes (Photo by Zoe Gister).
Redwood senior athletes recognized in new venue celebration
Charlotte LacyMay 30, 2024

On May 20, senior athletes, parents and coaches gathered at Sam’s Anchor Cafe in Tiburon to recognize and celebrate the seniors committed...

Smiling and holding their floats, seniors make the most of their lunch.
Seniors stay a-float for senior week
Hannah HerbstMay 29, 2024

On Tuesday, May 28, after a long Memorial Day Weekend and with only twelve more academic days left of school, leadership kicked off Senior...

Boys’ varsity baseball marks history with first-ever state playoff victory
Will ParsonsMay 29, 2024

On May 28, the Giants’ varsity baseball team took on the Carmel Padres in the first Norcal state playoff game in the program’s history. The...

Exploring the Açai scene: A taste of Marins’ most popular spots

After the brutal loss of Corte Madera’s Ohana Açaí Cafe, students desperately search for the next best option to satisfy their intense açaí craving. While Marin has no shortage of açai options, the question stands: which bowl is the best? Come along to find the most fresh, and satisfying bowl in the area by comparing price, taste and presentation.

Juice Girl: 

Bowl from Juice Girl, topped with sweet fruit and coconut flakes

The best word to describe Juice Girl in Mill Valley is “pleasant”. The vibe of the store was welcoming and accurately matched the cute and comforting ambiance of Mill Valley. The presentation was neat, attractive and pleasing to the eye, which was a redeeming quality considering the cost of the bowl, which is $10. The base’ texture was creamy and the temperature was a good balance of cool and refreshing but not melted. The flavor was sweet and tangy with fruit nicely placed on top. This gave a fresh and ripe taste. Overall, the excellent presentation and delicious taste puts Juice Girl in first place on the list.

Planet Juice:

Planet Juice in San Rafael was unusual. For the large size of this bowl, most people would be

Bowl from Planet Juice with fresh fruit on top and a rich açai base.

more than happy to pay $10 and 65 cents. The presentation was sublime, though the taste was not. In an attempt to make the bowl more interesting, the granola with seeds was incorporated into the base. It didn’t necessarily taste bad, but the texture was displeasing. The base was super dark and rich which provided an interesting flavor. The bowl was very mediocre and left my tastebuds distressed trying to depict the flavors they were tasting. The overcomplexity of this bowl missed the mark resulting in Planet Juice earning second place on my list.

Vitality Bowls:

Located in Mill Valley, Vitality Bowls was a disappointing experience. The smallest size option was an astronomical $13. After seeing the price, one would expect a large, delicious, nicely presented açaí bowl. When the order was ready, the minuscule, unattractive bowl can leave one feeling extremely disheartened, along with it being put in a plastic to-go container which gives off an unwelcoming vibe to the store. This bowl was lacking in taste as well as appearance. At first bite, the grainy texture of the actual açaí made it apparent that the base was frozen and not defrosted well. It resembled more of a sweet sorbet rather than acai. The syrupy taste, lack of toppings and subpar service leaves the over-priced Vitality Bowls in last place on this list. 

Açai is a delicious snack that everyone should be able to enjoy. There are many more açai options in Marin like Mana Bowls and Sun Life, that are definitely worth checking out. All of these options have good and bad sides and it’s ultimately up to personal preference. Juice Girl, Planet Juice and Vitality Bowls all provide a fun place to eat a creamy and refreshing açai bowl with your friends and family.