Photo Essay: Students celebrate the fifth annual Wellness Festival
Lauren OlsenMay 12, 2024

On Saturday, May 11, the Marin County Youth Commision (MCYC) hosted their fifth annual Wellness Festival for middle school and...

The Giants won their first MCAL banner since 2018.
Back at the top: Boys’ varsity baseball knocks off San Marin to claim MCAL banner
Gil Ladetzky and Hayden DonehowerMay 11, 2024

As the boys’ varsity baseball team entered the 2024 Marin County Athletic League (MCAL) championship game against San Marin, the bitter...

Illustration by Natalie Vinogradsky
Marin County's SAT Center Shortage: Time for Action
Elsa HoutkooperMay 10, 2024

Imagine: you are a junior preparing for the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) and looking online for a test center. The closest location is in South...

Sports Spotlight: The Solle show

Starting at Oracle Park, Solle fires a fastball towards home plate. Photo by Graham Weir.

Rex Solle is a familiar name among Redwood students and local baseball fans. As a senior, the varsity baseball player is looking to add to his already prestigious accolades. Following an incredible junior baseball season in which Solle placed first team Marin County Athletic League (MCAL) as a pitcher and third baseman, Solle is continuing his lasting legacy in his final year with Redwood baseball.

Solle gained interest in sports at a young age, specifically baseball. He attributes his enthusiasm and focus towards the sport to his dad, who has always pushed him to try his hardest. 

“My dad and I would always play [baseball] when I was kid. When I decided to play my first year of baseball, I found early success which made me grow a passion for the game. I always wanted to win too.” Solle said.

Solle mentions that his accomplishments come from maintaining strict principles that his dad prioritized at a young age.

“My success is from dedication and grind. I just have to stay strict to the process, and that’s how I see results.” Solle said. 

Solle impressively announced his commitment to UCLA just before his senior year. He was 2nd in the MCAL posting an astonishing 1.24 Earned Run Average [ERA] over 67.2 innings in 2023, and led the league in strikeouts with 110. His senior season has fared similarly, boasting a 1.25 ERA and 41 strikeouts while also contributing at the plate with a .424 batting average. His contributions have been vital to Redwood’s success this year, with a 14-2 record.

“I just go out there and give it 100 percent, trying to do everything I can to help the team win,” Solle said.

Solle’s personality plays an essential role in his game of baseball. The determination he found at a young age has never flickered out, andJunior varsity catcher Miles Harrison ensures that Solle’s leadership doesn’t go unnoticed.

“He brings a fun energy that fires the team up. His positivity and passion make us want to win [even more]. He’s always picking people up. He’s a natural leader,” Harrison said.

Solle has spent four years on the varsity roster for the Giants, playing with numerous teammates but consistently under one coach, Mike Firenze.

“Redwood has helped me tremendously in reaching my goals as a baseball player. The quote that we are focusing on this year as a team is ‘everything matters or nothing matters.’Luckily, having been able to play under coach Firenzi it’s much easier for me to have intention in doing everything I do,” Solle said.

Along with his Dad, Solle sees Firenzi as one of his biggest mentors and supporters of his young baseball career.

Waiting for the pitch, Solle focuses on the next play. Photo courtesy of Mei Ling Beck

“Playing under Mike and for this baseball program is perfect. I have a fond memory that I and Coach shared as a freshman. I was playing 3rd base against Tamalpais High School. I made a great play and coach and I both looked at each other like I got lucky. I don’t think I will ever forget that moment and his influence on me, not just as a ball player but as a person,” Solle said.

Solle feels like it’s time to win a championship, as the Giants have come up just short of an MCAL title in all four of Solle’s years with the team. Last year, the Giants took a rough 2-1 loss to San Marin in the semi-finals, and two years prior, they devastatingly lost to Marin Catholic in the championship on a walk-off home run.

“[Winning a championship] is 100 percent in the picture. We are a strong young team with lots of high aspirations. I think this is our year, and then past that, North Coast Section championship, of course,” Solle said.

Solle, a highly desired prospect, went through the rigorous college recruiting process and feels lucky to have received the interest he did.

“I was just hoping to attend somewhere in Southern California; that’s always been my dream. I wanted somewhere that fit me as a person, and I got that with the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA). I ended up in the perfect spot,” Solle said.

Solle signs his national letter of intent to play baseball at UCLA as a part of the top recruiting class in the nation. Photo courtesy of Rex Solle

He is excited to  continue his pitching career past Redwood, as UCLA ranks in the top 25 in college baseball in 2024 and has the number one recruiting class. With his hard working attitude, there’s no doubt that Solle will thrive in the college environment. 

“I’m very excited to get to the next level. I’m just looking to play a role however I can, just trying to help support the team and win as many games as possible,” Solle said.