Illustration by Storey Gerber
The electric epidemic
Ben MuellerMay 6, 2024

On March 13, the Central Marin Police Department sent a message to the Tamalpais Union High School District (TUHSD) concerning electric motorcycles...

Double contacts approved by the NCAA in womens volleyball
Double contacts approved by the NCAA in women's volleyball
Vivi EndlerMay 6, 2024

On Feb. 20th, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) approved double contacts by setters in women's college volleyball. According...

Drawing by Peter Dachtler
The Unhealthy Kids Survey: Misdiagnosing male mental health
Peter DachtlerMay 5, 2024

As the old proverb, said originally by Charles Kettering goes, understanding your problem is half of the solution, so a lack of information on...

Marin’s hidden gems: The best local thrift stores

In recent years, thrift shopping has surged in popularity as a sustainable way to find diverse clothing brands at discounted prices, often with items in like-new condition that appear for a fraction of their original cost. As awareness grows regarding the environmental effects of traditional shopping, such as heightened carbon dioxide emissions and increased landfill waste, turning to thrift stores is an excellent alternative for individuals looking to reduce their carbon footprint. Below are a few local stores you should consider visiting.

Sugar Magnolias Powder Room

Experience the charm of vintage items at Sugar Magnolias Powder Room

Situated on Magnolia Avenue in Larkspur, this charming thrift shop welcomes visitors with lively music and friendly greetings from the staff. While this store caters primarily to women with an extensive collection of clothing and accessories, Sugar Magnolias Powder Room also offers a smaller selection for men. Most items in the store are between $20-$60, which is on the more expensive side when compared to other thrift stores. If you are searching for unique items and don’t mind paying extra for quality finds, this shop is a must-visit destination.

Saint Patrick’s Thrift Shop

Also located on Magnolia Avenue in Larkspur, Saint Patrick’s Thrift Shop offers a spacious and inviting shopping experience. Thanks to its larger size, this shop has the most extensive array of items compared to others nearby. From CDs and vinyl records to homewares, shoes and clothing for all ages and genders, Saint Patrick’s Thrift Shop serves various needs. While homewares dominate the collection, there is still a modest but noteworthy selection of clothing. Most items are priced between $1 and $5, making Saint Patrick’s Thrift Shop a prime destination for budget-conscious shoppers who desire variety and affordability. Make sure to visit Saint Patrick’s Thrift Shop if you are looking for an assortment of items for a very affordable price.

Grace’s Thrift Shop

Grace’s Thrift Shop, nestled in Fairfax, is appealing due to its small, intimate atmosphere. The staff is friendly, accommodating and goes above and beyond to assist customers in finding exactly what they need by explaining aspects of certain products and ensuring they fit customers’ needs. The shop offers an array of clothing for women, men and children, as well as a wide range of home goods. The pricing was very reasonable, at $5 to $15 for most items. Despite its quaint size, Grace’s Thrift Shop surprises shoppers with its extensive selection, ensuring there is something for everyone to explore. 

Thrift shopping offers a chance to find unique items at a discounted price and contributes to sustainability. Marin County has a variety of local thrift stores, each with unique aspects. Whether you seek quality items at Sugar Magnolias Powder Room, diverse products at Saint Patrick’s Thrift Shop or a cozy and welcoming shopping experience at Grace’s Thrift Shop, there is something for everyone. Next time you want to go shopping, consider exploring these thrift stores for a fun and eco-friendly shopping experience!