Racing into spring: MRA revs up for competition season
Lily SkinnerApril 29, 2024

For many, spring means gorgeous weather and longer days, but for the junior members of the highly decorated Marin Rowing Association (MRA), spring...

Over the counter burger quest: seeking the ultimate fast food hamburger in Marin
Lauren DickermanApril 29, 2024

Everybody enjoys a juicy burger, especially when they're in the mood for something savory. Hence, it’s always a good choice, regardless of...

The case for no PE requirement for student athletes
Jake PostApril 28, 2024

Three days a week, students in their freshman and sophomore years at Redwood spend a period in Physical Education (PE) class for a combined 144...

Tommaso Visentin adapting remarkably during his exchange year

6,011 miles away from home, Tommaso Visentin starts his senior year of high school. Visentin was born and raised in the small town of Treviso, Italy, and is now attending Redwood on an exchange year. He’s come to the United States before, but never without his family, and never for this long. For Visentin, this exchange year will mean attending Redwood and getting to graduate with the class of 2024, as well as playing for the Marin Highlanders Rugby team. 

“I [had] always wanted to do an exchange year and then all of a sudden I just got this opportunity to come here and … I already knew this is what I wanted to do,” Visentin said. 

For him, the opportunity came when he was least expecting it. Tim Peterson, coach of the Marin Highlanders and father to two current Redwood students took his team to Italy for a tournament. As a rugby player and Peterson’s team translator, Visentin got to know the American coaches and players. 

Visentin’s mother, originally from Michigan, stayed in contact with the Peterson family and this connection brought a potential exchange year opportunity. The timing for both families worked out perfectly and Visentin enrolled at Redwood and joined the Marin Highlanders.

Getting together after a game, Tommaso’s Italian team and the Marin Highlanders pose for a photo together.
(Photo courtesy of Tommaso Visentin).

“Two months later, my parents received an email saying that [Peterson] would love to have me at his house, play for the Highlanders and go to Redwood … I got really lucky,” Visentin said.

Meeting at this rugby tournament in February 2022 opened new doors for both families, and led Visentin to his host family and Redwood.

“[Rugby] was a helpful way to make new friends … I met [the Marin Highlanders team] back in Italy and this is all thanks to rugby,” Visentin said.

Some classes at school have been a challenge, like American Government, but for the most part, Redwood has been accommodating. Visentin’s host sister, Riley Peterson, also a senior, notes how well he’s adjusted to the school environment here. 

“He became friends with my friends super quickly and I don’t need to be there when he’s hanging out with people. He just goes with them now, so he’s made his own, cool friend group,” Peterson said.

Riley also mentioned how different Visentin’s school is back home. Coming to Redwood was a big change from his prior school. Back in Italy, Visentin attended a 500 student, five-year private school, focused on different subjects than Redwood. Peterson describes how Visentin is grateful to be able to experience a typical American high school, with events like spirit rallies. Seeing these events from a new perspective also makes her appreciate them more. 

“I’ve honestly learned to be really grateful for what we have. I know it sounds cliché that we live in an American high school experience but [Visentin tells me,] ‘It’s just exactly what you see in the movies’… He likes going to school every day,” Peterson said.

Tommaso Visentin stands with two of his “Host Siblings,” Riley and Kevin Peterson, at their home in Tiburon, California.
(Photo courtesy of Tommaso Visentin).

Though his plans for the future remain undecided, Visentin wants to stay in the United States for college and further his education. Moving away from his family back home was difficult, but Visentin is still able to call them often and plans to return to them in June, while also creating a bond with the Peterson family. From showing him around restaurants he’s never tried, or teaching him slang, Peterson has had a great time helping him transition into Marin culture. 

“It’s made everything more fun because it’s like [having] a built-in best friend,” Peterson said.