Illustration by Storey Gerber
The electric epidemic
Ben MuellerMay 6, 2024

On March 13, the Central Marin Police Department sent a message to the Tamalpais Union High School District (TUHSD) concerning electric motorcycles...

Double contacts approved by the NCAA in womens volleyball
Double contacts approved by the NCAA in women's volleyball
Vivi EndlerMay 6, 2024

On Feb. 20th, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) approved double contacts by setters in women's college volleyball. According...

Drawing by Peter Dachtler
The Unhealthy Kids Survey: Misdiagnosing male mental health
Peter DachtlerMay 5, 2024

As the old proverb, said originally by Charles Kettering goes, understanding your problem is half of the solution, so a lack of information on...

Navigating the slopes of life: Olympic medalist and Redwood parent Jonny Moseley

1998 Olympic gold medalist and skiing legend Jonny Moseley gracefully navigated the slopes of parenting, bringing the same fitness and determination to raising his children as he did to the world of freestyle skiing. Jonny Moseley explores different paths in life, along with raising two boys.

Smiling for the camera, Moseley excitedly hikes Palisades Tahoe. (Photo c0urtesy of Jonny Moseley) 

Jonny Moseley moved to Marin when he was two years old. His parents shared their love for skiing with him and his brothers.

“[Skiing] was for fun, there was never a notion that ‘this is going to be a profession for you,’” Jonny Moseley said. 

At 15, Jonny Moseley realized he had the potential to go further than originally expected. He wanted to make his love for skiing a profession, which he did post-graduation. 

Jonny Moseley graduated high school in 1993. Following that, he moved to Tahoe to pursue his skiing career. Jonny Moseley won a silver medal at the X-games and a gold medal in the 1998 Olympics in Japan, making him the first skier to win a medal in both competitions. After competing in the 2002 Olympics, Jonny Moseley returned to Tiburon.

“My roots kept pulling me back [to Tiburon]. I had been on the road since I was a teenager. I missed the mountains, redwood trees, the bay, the community, my friends and the culture,” Jonny Moseley said.

After his last Olympics in 2002, Jonny Moseley hosted Saturday Night Live and was drawn to the business of television. He has made countless appearances on screen, the most notable being his iconic Toyota commercials. 

In 2006, Jonny Moseley married Malia Rich. In 2007, he graduated from the University of California at Berkeley and had his first son, Jack Moseley, and his second son, Tommy Moseley, in 2010. 

“I wanted to expose [Jack and Tommy] to skiing from a young age and give them that opportunity to genuinely feel like they want to be skiers and we were fortunate enough to go down that path,” Jonny Moseley said.

As an adolescent, Jack admired his dad, Jonny.

“I did [want to be a professional skier], especially when I was younger. I wanted to be a skier and follow him through skiing, ” Jack Moseley said.

Like his parents, Jonny Moseley has let his kids pave their own paths when it comes to their chosen extracurriculars.

“[Jack and Tommy] have both chosen to focus more on baseball and that’s amazing. We dig skiing but we [also] dig baseball,” Jonny Moseley said. 

As a Redwood sophomore, Jack Moseley is currently playing his second season of varsity baseball.

“I found more of a passion in baseball and realized that skiing wasn’t something that I wanted to pursue,” Jack Moseley said. 

Jonny Moseley and Malia Moseley went to The Branson School in Ross.

Defying gravity with style, Jack Moseley does a backflip off of a cliff. (Photo courtesy of Jonny Moseley)

“I loved [Branson], but Jack wasn’t really interested in it in the way I was, I respected that,” Jonny Moseley said. 

Jack Moseley’s reasons for not attending his parents’ alma mater were similar reasons to other kids who were debating between the public or private high school route.

“I felt that Redwood was going to give me a different experience and help me make a better choice for college,” Jack Moseley said. 

Though Jonny Moseley is well known, being in Marin also helps him stay down to earth.

“I’m not so well known that I can’t operate in a normal manner. They know me. They know my family. They know what I’m like, which is great,” Jonny Moseley said. 

Nostalgic about his competition days, Jonny Moseley remains in the ski industry.

“I really miss that sort of goal-oriented time in my life,” Jonny Moseley said.

Jack Moseley expresses heartfelt gratitude for his father’s illustrious career.

Clicking poles, Jonny and Jack share a father-son moment before taking off for a run. (Photo courtesy of Jonny Moseley)

“[My dad’s popularity has] given me a lot of unique opportunities that I am grateful for and also a couple of things that make me different from other kids,” Jack Moseley said.

Though fame was not what Jonny Moseley was originally shooting for, he is thankful.

“I went off and did this skiing thing and it went well and one thing led to another and it gave me this whole life. That’s something I am very grateful for. It’s been very cool,” Jonny Moseley said.

Not only is Jonny Moseley grateful for his past, but excited for the  future.

“In general it’s a working document…we are working on it together,” Jonny Moseley said.