Photo Essay: Students celebrate the fifth annual Wellness Festival
Lauren OlsenMay 12, 2024

On Saturday, May 11, the Marin County Youth Commision (MCYC) hosted their fifth annual Wellness Festival for middle school and...

The Giants won their first MCAL banner since 2018.
Back at the top: Boys’ varsity baseball knocks off San Marin to claim MCAL banner
Gil Ladetzky and Hayden DonehowerMay 11, 2024

As the boys’ varsity baseball team entered the 2024 Marin County Athletic League (MCAL) championship game against San Marin, the bitter...

Illustration by Natalie Vinogradsky
Marin County's SAT Center Shortage: Time for Action
Elsa HoutkooperMay 10, 2024

Imagine: you are a junior preparing for the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) and looking online for a test center. The closest location is in South...

Boys’ varsity lacrosse falls behind in fourth quarter to lose nail-biting MCAL pennant

On Saturday, April 27, varsity boys’ lacrosse faced off against the Marin Catholic (MC) Wildcats in a devastating Marin County Athletic League (MCAL) final. MC quickly gained a lead of 2-0 at the beginning of the first quarter, but the Giants almost immediately tied the score with goals from seniors BJ Fisher and Aidan Hackett. 

Senior Jake Werner scored an impressive goal early in the second quarter after the Wildcats lost possession of the ball; Werner was able to make a breakaway play. MC quickly matched Redwood’s lead, and the two teams remained neck and neck, going into the half with a score of 5-5. 

At the end of the third quarter, the Giants continued to battle valiantly, trying to close the gap in the 9-8 MC lead. The last quarter was brutal to watch for the Giants in the stands, as the Wildcats scored five goals in under 10 minutes. Marin Catholic cemented their victory by pulling so far ahead in the last minutes. The final score was 14-8, with the Giants not securing a goal in the game’s final quarter. 

Regardless, the varsity boys’ lacrosse team will now move on to the North Coast Section (NCS) playoff games. Receiving a first-round bye in NCS, their next game will be on Thursday, May 2, at home, against the winner of the Tamalpais High School vs. Berkeley High School game.