What it means to be a Giant
What it means to be a Giant
Gil LadetzkyJune 22, 2024

In fifth grade, I attended my first-ever Redwood basketball game. It was a rainy Thursday night in a gym packed with energetic students. As I...

Tony Harvey: The face behind the scoreboard

Those who attend the many sporting events here may not think about the work behind the scoreboard. However, behind the ever-changing numbers displayed on the screen is a dedicated alumnus of Redwood, Tony Harvey. One of Harvey’s many jobs is to control the scoreboard for varsity softball, baseball and football games, except his efforts don’t just stop at that. His dedication and fun nature have lasting effects on the sports teams and the community.

As a 1987 Redwood graduate, Harvey has livedin Marin for over 50 years. After being on the track and field team for a year, he decided to surround himself with a different array of athletes and then began to help out with the varsity baseball, football and softball scoreboard.

“I think going out of high school, I didn’t really know what I was going to do for work for a while. Nine to five jobs are just not for me. This is fun, you get to come out and get out in the sun,” Harvey said. 

Glancing up at the scoreboard, Harvey updates the score after the first inning. (Photo by Tessa Tuatini)

Harvey has been a part of Redwood sports for 30 years since then, his favorite part being the constant chaos and excitement. Harvey greatly assists the varsity softball team every season. Emily Atkinson, the head coach of varsity softball, is a testament to his helpful nature.

“[Harvey] does a great job creating and helping the community with the parents, which I don’t interact with as much because I’m coaching. He’ll go out during games and talk to [the parents] and

everything else,” Atkinson said, “I call him the mayor of Redwood softball because he hangs out and socializes with the parents and the fans.”

Gia Meyers, a sophomore on the varsity softball team, comments on Harvey’s dedication and commitment to the team.

“He is always there, no matter if it’s a home game or an away game. Even if it’s two hours away he always brings the energy and is laughing,” Meyers said.

Not only does Harvey control the scoreboards, but he also helps out during practice and with game preparation. Whet

her it be preparing the softball field, bringing foam rollers to players, mowing the lawn, or conversing with parents, Harvey does a little bit of everything.

“It really depends on what’s going on that day,” Harvey said, “I was down [at the softball field] early to mow…,

Cheering alongside fans and parents, Harvey watches the varsity softball team defeat Marin Catholic in a close game. (Photo by Tessa Tuatini)

and then the scoreboard was coming apart, so I got somebody to fix that.”

A friendly face you often see in the parking lot, on the field, or around the halls, Harvey’s easygoing nature and fun quirks make him approachable and easy to talk to. Atkinson remembers many of Harvey’s characteristics and memories during his help with the softball team.

“He loves wearing his cowboy boots to playoff games and to San Fransisco games; his playoff boots… he

loves to show them off,” Atkinson said, “He loves being at Redwood. He loves being involved with the kids, he is very social and loves talking and being around people. He is an adopted uncle to a

lot of these girls.”

Whether you are a student-athlete or not, Harvey always rocks a radiating smile and

welcoming demeanor. Reflecting on the connections he has made with students throughout the years, the simple interactions Harvey’ has are often the most rewarding.

“When I see [students] in the hall they’re all like, ‘Hey Tony!’. I’m gonna keep in touch with some of the graduates… they pop in and see us now and then.” Harvey said, “I follow [the players] a little bit in college. We have got a girl playing for Dominican right now and one girl playing for Williams College.”

Regardless of all the hustle and bustle of activities around campus, Harvey always manages to be a friendly face that radiates through the community.