Racing to the finish line, junior Marley Nacco places first in her heat for the 1600 with a time of 5:21:06.
Photo Essay: Track and field dominates MCAL Trials
Emily BlockMay 3, 2024

On May 2, the varsity track and field team headed to San Rafael High School for the Marin County Athletic League (MCAL) trials. The meet...

Illustration by Charlotte Wilson
Student Phones: Addictive by Design
Elle WilsonMay 2, 2024

After a long day of school and a tiring field hockey practice, I arrive home. I have a test tomorrow and a pile of homework waiting for me....

Freshman Haley Boyarski extends her arms to block a spike (Photo courtesy of Kim Wagner)
Setting the standard: Positivity in beach volleyball
Caroline VeleyMay 1, 2024

As the warm Spring weather approaches, many indoor volleyball players look for an alternative sport to fill their schedule while enjoying the...

Explore these autumn adventures and attractions

Fall is here, and with it comes a plethora of fun fall activities! From carving a pumpkin to taking an outing to a corn maze, here are some of the best fall activities to do in Marin.

Pumpkin Carving:

Grab a pumpkin, a few carving tools and some friends for this age-old tradition. Pumpkin carving originated as a way to frighten the spirits away from people’s homes. Now, it has turned into a fun activity that not only produces an artistic Jack-o-Lantern but a delicious snack. Throw the pumpkin seeds onto a pan and season them with spices for a fall snack. Whether you decide to create a classic Jack-o-Lantern or something more creative, pumpkin carving is a great way to kick off your fall with some spooky decor.  

Petaluma Pumpkin Patch and Corn Maze:

Located off Highway 101, The Petaluma Pumpkin Patch and Amazing Corn Maze is open for its 31st season this fall!

THE PETALUMA PUMPKIN Patch offers a variety of colorful pumpkins.

This pumpkin patch has an entire pit of corn that you can go in. It sounds a little strange, but it is definitely something unique and fun to try. After that, there is a wide variety of pumpkins and squashes. There is an entire field to choose from, with the option to hand pick one off the vines or to grab one of the pre-picked pumpkins at the front. They also have the legendary ‘Amazing Corn Maze’ that is guaranteed to stump its visitors upon entering. If you’re clever, you will make it out okay and have a great time. Additionally, there are a few types of animals housed at the pumpkin patch. They have horses, cows, turkeys, chickens and even a calf. Overall, this pumpkin patch is well worth the 35 minute drive. 

Halloween Movie Night: 

Gather around the TV with friends or family, queue a Halloween movie and grab some delicious fall snacks and treats to share with everyone! Whether it’s pumpkin pie, apple crisp, snicker-doodles or candied apples, there are many fall recipes out there to satisfy all different cravings. From comedies to thrillers, there is a broad spectrum of Halloween flicks to watch. A classic thriller that many people enjoy watching is the Scream saga. With six films to its name, this franchise has grossed a total of $911 million at the box office. “Scream” is a personal favorite of mine because of its star-studded cast and plot twists. Besides “Scream”, a Halloween comedy that is less scary and a little more wholesome is “Hocus Pocus”. Both movies are a great choice and festive for fall!

Enjoy the bounty of fall activities that we have access to in Marin and try any of these great options. Carve a pumpkin to scare away spirits, binge some Halloween movies or take a trip to the Petaluma Pumpkin Patch to get the most out of the autumn months this year.