Offset’s new album ‘Father of Four’ births innovative lyrical trap style

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jacob Klionsky

One cheating scandal, car crash and a newborn baby later, Kiari Cephus, better known as Offset, released his highly anticipated solo album, Father of Four, on Feb. 22. In his first album attempt to display himself as a solo artist, the 27-year-old member of the Migos trio steers away from rap that lacks lyrical substance and, instead, delves into his personal life and upbringing in Atlanta’s Northside. Although the interconnection between trap beats, ad-libs and meaningful rap lyrics seem far-fetched, Offset found a way to create a 16-song album that seamlessly meshes all three elements.

The album begins with the song “Father of Four” featuring Big Rube, which serves as Offset’s heartfelt apology to his four kids, all with different mothers, for not always being around as they have grown up. “Had a baby as a kid, mama kicked me out. Had to go and hit a lick, tryna put food in your mouth. Then I got caught for the s***, in the pen when she pushed you out.”  

As well as offering insight into social problems for African Americans, this initial song helps set the reflective tone for the entire album and continues with upbeat yet contemplative songs “How Did I Get Here” featuring J. Cole and “Lick,” both of which have entered Billboard’s “Hot 100 Entries” at 65 and 86, respectively.

Beyond this point, the album starts to lack consistency but still brings in a list of head-bobbing tracks with songs “Wild Wild West” ft. Gunna, “LEGACY” ft. Travis Scott and 21 Savage and “Clout” ft. Cardi B. Although these songs lack lyrical content, they are destined to satisfy any pre-existing Migos or Offset fan with their catchy choruses and creative beats. Inevitably, the 16-track album has multiple shortcomings such as songs “Underrated” and “After Dark,” both of which feel monotonous and fail to differentiate from the rest.

In a constant battle with his demons of the past, Offset consistently uses his solo album as a platform to gain redemption for his sins. On the final track, “Came a Long Way,” Offset reflects on the improbability of his success and the adversity he has faced on his path to rap stardom.

We selled the dope, never thought rapping would go far. I done exploded, turned rapping to an art,” he raps.

Overall, “Father of Four” manages to balance bass-heavy production from industry leading producers Metro Boomin and Southside and shockingly impactful lyrics. Although there are a few songs that I won’t be adding to my Spotify playlist, as a whole, the album successfully exhibits Offset’s talents as a rapper and songwriter. In a time when it seems like people only want to hear ‘mumble rap’ that lacks any sort of sincerity, “Father of Four” shines a glimmer of hope for the future of trap music.

About the Writer
Jacob Klionsky, Survey Manager

Jacob Klionsky is a senior at Redwood High School and is the sports editor for The Redwood Bark. He loves to listen to music, take his dog on hikes, play...

• Offset’s new album ‘Father of Four’ births innovative lyrical trap style

Review

I’m not a ‘Sucker’ for the Jonas Brothers’ comeback music video

Review

Billie Eilish dominates charts with “WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?”

Review

The Best Places to Study in the Bay Area

Review

Best places to get your sweat on in the North Bay

Review

Marin’s Indian restaurants reviewed by an actual desi girl

Review

Gunna cashes out on highly anticipated debut album ‘Drip or Drown 2’

Review

New Billie Eilish single hits high notes while title strikes wrong chord

Review

Tune in a turn on to the best sex-positive shows on Netflix

Review

Going green: a mixed [recyclable] bag

Review

Marin’s best quali-TEA boba to sweeten your day