Twelve seniors were presented with awards to recognize their commitment to being outstanding high school athletes (Photo by Zoe Gister).
Redwood senior athletes recognized in new venue celebration
Charlotte LacyMay 30, 2024

On May 20, senior athletes, parents and coaches gathered at Sam’s Anchor Cafe in Tiburon to recognize and celebrate the seniors committed...

Smiling and holding their floats, seniors make the most of their lunch.
Seniors stay a-float for senior week
Hannah HerbstMay 29, 2024

On Tuesday, May 28, after a long Memorial Day Weekend and with only twelve more academic days left of school, leadership kicked off Senior...

Boys’ varsity baseball marks history with first-ever state playoff victory
Will ParsonsMay 29, 2024

On May 28, the Giants’ varsity baseball team took on the Carmel Padres in the first Norcal state playoff game in the program’s history. The...

Bliss: Marin’s first soft-serve shop dedicated to Asian-inspired ice cream

Located in Novato’s San Marin Plaza, Bliss Ice Cream is one of Marin’s most unique dessert joints. Customers can enjoy koi fish-shaped ice cream cones filled with a twisted swirl of soft serve in the style of taiyaki, a traditional Japanese dessert, along with other sweet treats, including milkshakes and soft serve. With fantastic reviews on Yelp and other sites, I knew that Bliss would be a must-try to fulfill the whole Marin ice cream experience.

Bliss is Marin’s only soft-serve shop dedicated to Asian-inspired ice cream. It is the third location overall, but because it is so different from other ice cream shops in Marin, Bliss has gotten plenty of attention from the Japanese community. When entering the shop, customers are greeted by the beautiful decor of flowers hanging above their heads, covering the whole store. The shop has numerous tables inside and outside where guests can enjoy their dessert, making it a great place to spend time with a friend and chat.

The Bliss menu is very diverse and prices are friendly, never exceeding $10. The shop serves American ice cream, soft serve, milkshakes, flavored waffle cones and its original koi fish-shaped cones, which differ from regular waffle cones because they have a smooth shell and are warm. 

The koi fish-shaped ice cream was unique and unlike anything I’d seen before. Made on a special waffle cone griddle entirely from scratch, Bliss creates this extraordinary masterpiece in less than 15 minutes. The wait may seem long, but when it arrives, you are greeted by a heated cone that tastes similar to a Belgian waffle filled with chilled taiyaki. The taiyaki is not as sweet or heavy as traditional American ice cream and has a grainy consistency, but it tastes decadent with the texture of the warm cone. The taiyaki blend is also made with low-fat milk, fruit purees and unique concentrated flavors, presenting a distinctive feeling when taking a bite. This Japanese dessert is clearly what Bliss is known for, and I definitely recommend it when you visit.

Bliss is open from noon to 8 p.m. daily; in the summer, it will be extended to 9 p.m. Support this delicious local hidden gem, and make sure to check out Bliss Ice Cream in Novato.