Twelve seniors were presented with awards to recognize their commitment to being outstanding high school athletes (Photo by Zoe Gister).
Redwood senior athletes recognized in new venue celebration
Charlotte LacyMay 30, 2024

On May 20, senior athletes, parents and coaches gathered at Sam’s Anchor Cafe in Tiburon to recognize and celebrate the seniors committed...

Smiling and holding their floats, seniors make the most of their lunch.
Seniors stay a-float for senior week
Hannah HerbstMay 29, 2024

On Tuesday, May 28, after a long Memorial Day Weekend and with only twelve more academic days left of school, leadership kicked off Senior...

Boys’ varsity baseball marks history with first-ever state playoff victory
Will ParsonsMay 29, 2024

On May 28, the Giants’ varsity baseball team took on the Carmel Padres in the first Norcal state playoff game in the program’s history. The...

Springtime activities in full bloom

After the long-lasting rainy season, students are ready for sunshine. Luckily, Marin County gives many opportunities to explore and spend time outside. With spring in full bloom, these outdoor activities can be started right away. 

During the fall and winter, Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is common. Less daylight and more rain can both cause changes in brain chemistry, which can lead to depression.  In fact, studies from Healthline show that sunlight helps people feel happier and correlates with fewer cases of SAD during the spring and summer. Additionally, according to the most recent  Bark survey, 86 percent of students say that warm weather improves their mood. Happiness can come from many different things, but spending time out in the sun doing these springtime activities will surely boost your mood!

Sunday Marin Farmers’ Market

An employee from Brittany Crêpes makes a crêpe for a customer
Vibrant flowers sold at the farmers’ market

Every Sunday from  8 a.m. to 1 p.m., the Marin Farmers’ Market offers a wide variety of products including flowers, vegetables, fruits, sauces, baked goods, fish and meat, all from various food vendors. Most of the items are handmade or grown locally, which makes for a diverse food selection. Everything smells so luscious that you will want to eat it all! Make sure to stop by Brittany Crêpes for both sweet and savory crepes that will be impossible to resist. There is a large crowd nearly every weekend, and almost every place only accepts cash or Venmo, so be prepared! 

101 Surf Sports

If you are looking for water sports, you have come to the right place! 101 Surf Sports in San Rafael is open every day from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. with a large selection of activities including paddleboarding, windsurfing, kayaking and more. Located on the San Rafael Canal, pretty views are guaranteed. Rentals range from $40-$60 and lessons are offered for all ranges of abilities. Don’t miss out on these water sports that can be enjoyed with friends, family or solo.    

Ring Mountain Preserve Hike

The Ring Mountain Preserve Hike, located in Tiburon, offers several trails for all levels. There is an array of wildflowers, trees and large rock formations that make for an immersive experience. On any trail you take, there are stunning water views. From the top, the Golden Gate, Richmond and Bay Bridge are all visible. Especially at sunset, this viewpoint provides an exceptional perspective on some of Marin’s most cherished landmarks. Bikes and dogs on a leash are welcome as well, so bring them along for extra fun! 

Marin Art and Garden Center

For a relaxing day, take a trip to the Marin Art and Garden Center. Full of lush greenery, this eleven-acre space is a great place to unwind. The land is filled with many trees, making the atmosphere well-suited for a picnic. If you enjoy flowers, take a stroll through the rose garden for a beautiful photo opportunity. 

These four activities show a glimpse of Marin’s beauty. Being out in the sunshine boosted my mood immensely, and these excursions are the perfect way to enjoy the outdoors even if your lifestyle doesn’t usually incorporate nature-based activities. Make sure to check out the Sunday Farmers Market, 101 Surf Sports, Ring Mountain Preserve Hike and Marin Art and Garden Center during this spring season. Wishing you a happy and healthy spring in 2024!