Over the counter burger quest: seeking the ultimate fast food hamburger in Marin
Lauren DickermanApril 29, 2024

Everybody enjoys a juicy burger, especially when they're in the mood for something savory. Hence, it’s always a good choice, regardless of...

The case for no PE requirement for student athletes
Jake PostApril 28, 2024

Three days a week, students in their freshman and sophomore years at Redwood spend a period in Physical Education (PE) class for a combined 144...

Illustration by Nina Baker
The AI takeover: A less capable generation
Nina BakerApril 28, 2024

“The pace of progress in artificial intelligence is incredibly fast…The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five-year...

Fashion Rentals: Keeping Closets Fresh and Sustainable

Fast fashion has taken over today’s world. Trends flare up and fade away in the blink of an eye, making it nearly impossible for individuals to keep pace without incurring significant costs. The relentless cycle of consumption places a strain not only on wallets but also on the environment. Fueled by social media platforms, the pressure to constantly sport new attire has become a palpable societal norm. However, this constant desire for novelty often leaves closets bursting at the seams with overlooked garments. Rental companies have recognized this pattern and seized the opportunity to create subscription services that keep your closet fresh with updated trends. Three companies are frontrunners: Nuuly, Rent the Runway and Armoire. 

NUULY

Photo courtesy of Nuuly.com

Do you enjoy brands such as Free People, Anthropology and Urban Outfitters? Well, then, Nuuly is the place for you. With its ever-evolving selection of styles and thousands of items to browse, Nuuly offers clothing selections for every occasion. Whether dressing up for a formal event, hitting the beach or embracing snowy weather, Nuuly has you covered. For $98 per month, Nuuly lets you choose six items from their vast collection. This fee includes shipping, returns, repairs and dry cleaning for your desired items. Say goodbye to the hassle of cleaning your items before sending them back; Nuuly takes care of it all. Their user-friendly website makes it a breeze to browse your favorite items throughout the month, simplifying selecting your favorites. While Nuuly’s offerings are exclusive and sometimes pricey, the subscription fee remains fixed, regardless of the item’s cost. Plus, their commitment to sustainable shipping practices ensures your items arrive in an eco-friendly manner, using reusable packaging. 

RENT THE RUNWAY

Photo courtesy The Thrifty Pineapple

Traditionally known for its focus on ballgowns and evening wear, Rent The Runway has undergone a transformative evolution. Today, it boasts a selection of over 750 designers, offering fashion-forward options at a staggering 73 percent discount compared to retail prices. Rent The Runway offers two subscription tiers, simultaneously granting access to five items. The “Limited Closet” plan, priced at $94 per month, provides access to 9,000 styles with a retail value of up to $350. On the other hand, the “Full Closet” plan, initially priced at $144, allows for 10 items per month, with only five available for shipment at a time, necessitating two separate deliveries. This plan offers access to a staggering 10,000 styles with a combined retail value of $3,000. 

In addition, they deliver a one-time rental for items such as ballgowns and dresses specifically meant to support those attending an event. The company’s shipping process is remarkably efficient, with deliveries typically arriving within three days if orders are placed before the 3 p.m. deadline. Notably, Rent The Runway offers the flexibility of extended rental periods, allowing customers to keep items for weeks or even months and permitting the return of items individually. Unlike its competitors, Rent The Runway also includes handbags in its rental offerings. 

ARMOIRE 

Photo courtesy of The Quality Edit

If you’re seeking professional styling assistance, look no further than Armoire. By taking a personalized styling quiz, Armoire utilizes an algorithm and stylists to curate a wardrobe explicitly tailored to your preferences and needs. Armoire offers three distinct subscription options, such as the 4-item plan, priced at $89 per month, and provides a curated selection of essentials. For those seeking a more extensive wardrobe, the 7-item plan is available at $119 per month. Alternatively, the unlimited plan is $249 monthly for unlimited access to their vast inventory.

Despite the unlimited plan allowing only six items to be rented at a time, it offers the convenience of unlimited returns. All subscription tiers include complimentary shipping, unrestricted access to the entire inventory, and the flexibility to pause or cancel your subscription anytime. Notably, Armoire allows companies to keep their items until their new bundle arrives, leading you to always have new items in your closet. Armoire is proud to support women-owned brands, a testament to its dedication to promoting female empowerment within the fashion industry. This emphasis on brands created by and for women adds a meaningful layer to the Armoire experience.