Bite into Marin’s best veggie burgers

Super Duper’s veggie burger is topped with lettuce, onions, hummus and more.

The hamburger is an American classic. Bacon, cheese, avocado… you can find it all on a juicy beef patty. However, as more and more people choose to reduce their meat intake, or eliminate it from their diet completely, vegetarian options have become increasingly popular. This new trend has caused “veggie burgers” to become common in restaurants across Marin, with each restaurant putting their own spin on the dish. 

Super Duper

Super Duper’s veggie burger is light but satisfying. The veggie patty is crunchy on the outside with lots of corn kernels throughout and soft on the inside, but far from the flavor ofa regular burger. The patty sits atop a perfectly soft brioche bun and is topped with onions, cucumbers, lettuce, super sauce and hummus. The cucumbers add to the texture and the hummus is unique in terms of flavor but blends perfectly with the sauce, which has a more subtle salty taste. The veggie burger costs $8, but customers can add cheese or avocado for an additional fee. 

The “Veggie Shack” is coated in cheese and sauce.

Shake Shack

The “Veggie Shack” is definitely less impressive than the Super Duper veggie burger. While the veggie patty itself is crispy, any flavor it has is covered by an excessive amount of creamy “ShackSauce,” which drenches the brioche bun. The burger comes with cheese, which is slightly waxy. The sauteed onions are a nice addition but are ultimately overpowered by the pickles. Overall, this veggie burger is slightly salty and would benefit from additional toppings. 

The Hub

The Hub’s vegan burger was by far the most sophisticated. The patty is thicker and made of quinoa, kidney beans and oats, served on a whole-grain bun. The sauteed portabella mushrooms add the perfect amount of flavor and the texture blends well with the patty. Caramelized onions add a sweetness that balances out the tangy arugula. However, the

Mushrooms fall to the side of The Hub’s vegan burger.

dijon mustard was overpowering and dominated the overall flavor of the veggie burger. 

Veggie burgers have proven to be a delicious alternative to beef burgers. Super Duper, Shake Shack and The Hub are all within a 20-minute drive from Redwood and each has its own recipe. If you are looking for a delicious vegetarian meal, veggie burgers are the perfect dish.