Let’s evaluate our community before judging others

Recently, Marin Catholic was put under a harsh spotlight for its controversial actions in response to the Day of Silence, an event that aims to raise awareness about Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer and/or Questioning (LGBTQ) bullying.

A number of nuns at the Kentfield private school walked out of their classrooms in protest of students who had passed out flyers for the nationally celebrated Day of Silence and in protest of the school’s recent Facebook connections with the organization that runs the Day of Silence—the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network (GLSEN).

Screen Shot 2015-05-07 at 2.03.34 PM

Within hours of the nuns leaving their teaching posts, both Marin Catholic and Redwood students took to Facebook and Twitter to either support or express frustration with the nuns’ actions.

Angered students responded by exclaiming that individuals should be treated no differently than their peers because of their sexuality. Many looked at the nuns’ actions––done in the name of Catholicism––with disdain.

Those who rallied to stand up for the LGBTQ community by spreading awareness through tweets and Facebook posts participated in a noteworthy demonstration of action via social media.

However, internet action is not the same as real world action, and our dedication to a cause is measured by what we do to instill change, and not by what we claim.

Many of us were quick to jump in front of our computers to either pledge our support for the LGBTQ community or to criticize the nuns for their actions. However, in reality, most of us hardly lift a finger to stop the inequality and prejudice surrounding the LGBTQ community at our own school.

The Day of Silence was held on Friday, May 1 at Redwood. In most classes, there weren’t more than one or two students who participated, at best.

It is not right that we boast about our moral superiority when in fact, almost no one participates in the Day of Silence at our own school.

More importantly, it is hypocritical and inappropriate to criticize the nuns for their actions when many students at our own school continue to participate in verbal bullying, or, just as harmful, do nothing to stop it. Walking through the hallways at Redwood, one can hear derogatory comments like “That’s so gay!” or “You’re a fag!” casually tossed around.

Instead of looking down upon Marin Catholic, we should evaluate our own community. Do we strive to prevent verbal harassment in the hallways? Does Redwood provide an environment where all students can feel safe?

At Redwood, students are quick to say they support gay rights. We are quick to boast that we are more accepting than Marin Catholic and an event similar to the nuns walking out would never happen at our school.

However, when one of our classmates actually suffers from bullying, how many of us stand up for them? While we are willing to pledge our support for LGBTQ rights, much of our action stops there.

It is hypocritical to point a finger at Marin Catholic when we ourselves are not accepting. Before we can judge the actions of others, we must first look at our own actions. Instead of focusing our anger at the nuns, we should direct that anger toward a positive good. If we really are as in support of the Day of Silence and LGBTQ rights as we say we are, then we should work to eliminate LGBTQ bullying from our own school and participate in the Day of Silence in the future.

If you think what the nuns did was inappropriate and you support equal treatment for LGBTQ people, then own up to it and do something to spark change. If you do not agree with LGBTQ students feeling unsafe, then eliminate derogatory or threatening language from your vocabulary.

Club meetings for the Gay Trans Straight Alliance (GTSA) are on Mondays in room 128. Their last meeting had a total of seven members.