Smiling proudly, Sammy Chew poses for a picture behind the Surfrider Foundation table (Courtesy of Adriella Marcus)
Coastal advocacy and youth involvement:
Estelle SmithApril 26, 2024

On the first warm sunny weekends in Marin, families, high school kids, dogs and surfers alike all flocked to Stinson Beach to have some fun in...

TUHSD holds first annual Students of Color Retreat
TUHSD holds first annual Students' of Color Retreat
Melanie CanulApril 26, 2024

On March 29, the Tamalpais Union High School District (TUHSD) organized and held its first-ever Students of Color Retreat. The retreat was held...

Uber introduces new Uber For Teens feature
Ben MuellerApril 26, 2024

On Feb. 29, Uber rolled out “Uber for Teens,” a new rideshare option that allows teens to take an Uber without a parent while allowing parents...

Boys’ varsity water polo seeks revenge against rival Drake

In the boys’ varsity water polo tournament against Justin Siena, captain Giorgio Cico jumped out of the water to send the ball spiraling over the goalie’s head, scoring yet another goal for Redwood.

Moments like these propelled the team to their 3-1 MCAL record as of press time, their only loss suffered to Drake on Oct. 1. Despite this close defeat to their main rival, the team remains optimistic about the remainder of the season.

Captain Giorgio Cico fires a deep shot from the left wing over a leaping Drake defender. Redwood suffered their first defeat in a hard-fought matchup against Drake, their biggest rivals, on Oct. 1. The team was playing without Brandon West, a key member of the Giants’ defense, which proved to be a deciding factor in the pool last week.

“We’re not really worried about the rest of the season,” said Cico, now in his fourth year on varsity. “We’re not going to underestimate anyone, but the goal is just to get back to the championship game and play Drake and take them down.”

The boys’ coach, Rudy Kardos is confident they will meet Drake in the MCAL Championship.

“The game [against Drake] has very little consequence with the end of the year,” Kardos said. “All the other games on the way there are practice games.  There are no other opponents this year that are challenges.”

As the season moves forward, the team will rely on their experience and the diversity in their styles of play to obtain the MCAL title.

“Our biggest strength is that we have a bunch of different seniors who all play different styles, so it’s hard for a team to just focus on stopping one type of play,” Cico said.

The team’s starters are all seniors this year: Travis Burroughs, Giorgio Cico, Cole Donnelly, Abe Massik, Grayson Noyes, Jake Racich, and Brandon West. Additionally, the first player off of the bench is senior Joe Matthews. The large number of upperclassmen will help the team in their quest for success, according to West.

“It’s good to have a senior heavy team because then you’ve all been playing together for four years,” West said. “You’ve been playing together in the off season, too. You’re the strongest, biggest, most intelligent kids in the pool.”

In order to win games, the team incorporates every player in the pool into all of their offensive drives and attacks. Through years of playing together, they have forged a team chemistry that continues to give them the edge over their opponents.

“We’re getting more in touch with each other and we’re playing better as a team as the season goes along,” West said.

West is confident in the team’s ability to win MCALs this year.

“This is our golden year,” West said. “Without a doubt, we are the most well rounded team in MCALs.”

Senior Abe Massik has faith that the team will be able to beat every team they play, with the exception of Drake, which currently holds the MCAL title.

The Giants’ next game is on Tuesday, Oct. 14 against Marin Catholic.