Illustration by Charlotte Wilson
Student Phones: Addictive by Design
Elle WilsonMay 2, 2024

After a long day of school and a tiring field hockey practice, I arrive home. I have a test tomorrow and a pile of homework waiting for me....

Freshman Haley Boyarski extends her arms to block a spike (Photo courtesy of Kim Wagner)
Setting the standard: Positivity in beach volleyball
Caroline VeleyMay 1, 2024

As the warm Spring weather approaches, many indoor volleyball players look for an alternative sport to fill their schedule while enjoying the...

Starting at Oracle Park, Solle fires a fastball towards home plate. Photo by Graham Weir.
Sports Spotlight: The Solle show
Jake PostMay 1, 2024

Rex Solle is a familiar name among Redwood students and local baseball fans. As a senior, the varsity baseball player is looking to add to his...

Boys’ varsity baseball cements themselves in first place with 5-0 victory over Tam

On Friday, April 19, the boys’ varsity baseball team faced off against the Tamalpais (Tam) Hawks as they entered the final stretch of the season. The game marked the second matchup of the year between the two teams, as the Giants had previously defeated the Hawks 9-2 three days prior. Star senior and University of California, Los Angeles commit Rex Solle was slated to pitch on the mound in his seventh start of the season, and he did not disappoint. He opened the game by retiring all three batters he faced, striking out two of them. As Redwood came up in the first inning, they were able to jump ahead thanks to a two-run single by sophomore Jack Moseley. As the first inning came to a close, Redwood held a 3-0 lead over Tam. This lead proved to be too difficult to overcome for the Hawks, who struggled mightily against Solle. In his five-inning outing, he allowed just two hits and walked no batters while striking out eight. The Giants’ offense was rather sluggish besides their early scoring frenzy; however, in the 4th inning, a bunt by freshman Chase Johnson, followed by an errant throw by the Tam catcher, allowed two more runs to come across, extending the lead to 5-0. The final two innings were closed out by junior Matthew Knauer and senior Chas Veley, who both struck out two batters in their respective innings. With the win, the Giants improved to an impressive 17-2 record while clinching their top spot in the Marin County Athletic League (MCAL). Redwood’s next game is on April 23 versus the Sonoma Valley Dragons in Sonoma. The Giants look to finish their season strong and prepare for the postseason.