Illustration by Charlotte Wilson
Student Phones: Addictive by Design
Elle Wilson May 2, 2024

After a long day of school and a tiring field hockey practice, I arrive home. I have a test tomorrow and a pile of homework waiting for me....

Freshman Haley Boyarski extends her arms to block a spike (Photo courtesy of Kim Wagner)
Setting the standard: Positivity in beach volleyball
Caroline Veley May 1, 2024

As the warm Spring weather approaches, many indoor volleyball players look for an alternative sport to fill their schedule while enjoying the...

Starting at Oracle Park, Solle fires a fastball towards home plate. Photo by Graham Weir.
Sports Spotlight: The Solle show
Jake Post May 1, 2024

Rex Solle is a familiar name among Redwood students and local baseball fans. As a senior, the varsity baseball player is looking to add to his...

TUHSD holds first annual Students’ of Color Retreat

On March 29, the Tamalpais Union High School District (TUHSD) organized and held its first-ever Students of Color Retreat. The retreat was held at the Jonas Center on the Indian Valley College of Marin Campus, from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. This retreat connected staff and students of all different ethnic backgrounds from the schools in the TUHSD district. It was a celebration, community, conversation and laughter day where students were presented with activities and food. This event was organized and facilitated by Cathy Flores, the principal of San Andreas High School and TUHSD’s Senior Director of diversity, equity and inclusion.

Circled up, students learn new techniques at the Students’ of Color retreat (Photo courtesy of Sara Hernandez)

Students from all five schools, Redwood, Archie Williams, Tamalpais, Tamiscal and San Andreas showed up to this event ready to learn and enjoy social activities embracing their racial and cultural backgrounds. This event not only brought minorities together, but it also gave them a space in which they could feel safe and fit in. Redwood High School (RHS) junior Sara Hernandez attended this event as a photographer and as part of the Salvadorian community. Hernandez expressed the sense of community that she felt while at the retreat due to the shared experiences with other students. 

“I felt welcomed and a sense of comfort since I knew that all the adults and students understood the struggles of being a person of color and somehow we connected through that. The overall experience was great,” Hernandez said.

Many students attended the retreat and shared much in common, including how they felt about the event. RHS senior Jacob Abuhalawa was present at the retreat as part of the Middle Eastern community and expressed feelings similar to those of Hernandez’s. 

Students learn about Djembe drums at the student of color retreat. (Photo courtesy of Sara Hernandez)

“I loved the event. I loved how we all came together and shared our different background stories and how we were grouped up with the people from our same cultures which gave me a sense of home and belonging,” Abuhalawa said.

This event was a safe space for Abuhalawa, where he felt comfortable with others and what was discussed. Many conversation topics arose throughout the retreat, ranging from stereotypes to student’s lived experiences, racism as a whole and everything in between.

“I love how there was a balance of having fun and seriousness, not just the speakers making us feel depressed talking about racism. I’d love to participate in something like this again before I graduate,” Abuhalawa said.

This event has evoked thoughts and feelings about racial dynamics within the TUHSD community and has the potential to be a building block for larger, more impactful TUHSD events and programs in years to come.