Twelve seniors were presented with awards to recognize their commitment to being outstanding high school athletes (Photo by Zoe Gister).
Redwood senior athletes recognized in new venue celebration
Charlotte LacyMay 30, 2024

On May 20, senior athletes, parents and coaches gathered at Sam’s Anchor Cafe in Tiburon to recognize and celebrate the seniors committed...

Smiling and holding their floats, seniors make the most of their lunch.
Seniors stay a-float for senior week
Hannah HerbstMay 29, 2024

On Tuesday, May 28, after a long Memorial Day Weekend and with only twelve more academic days left of school, leadership kicked off Senior...

Boys’ varsity baseball marks history with first-ever state playoff victory
Will ParsonsMay 29, 2024

On May 28, the Giants’ varsity baseball team took on the Carmel Padres in the first Norcal state playoff game in the program’s history. The...

No one likes a damp diamond: How rain delays throw baseball a curveball

Illustration by Cora Champommier

Some sports depend on the weather, but none as much as baseball due to the atmosphere around the game. As America’s pastime, baseball is a nationally enjoyed sport, but there is not always warm and sunny weather for games. Despite this, players demonstrate remarkable resilience, fighting against the uncontrollable conditions and pushing through the displeasure of playing baseball in the rain.  In Marin, rain proves difficult for many high-school spring sports, especially baseball, which cannot play through most weather. With the intensity and frequency of rainfall this year, Redwood baseball players have shown an inspiring determination, constantly battling with delays or cancellations due to poor weather.

For the Giants, rain has been more of an issue in practice rather than games. Junior Lucas Ghio, a shortstop for the varsity Giants, has been vocal about the disruption rain can cause. “Rain delays are not just frustrating. They can completely disrupt our practice routine,” Ghio said. Many other players on the team share Ghio’s frustration and recognize that indoor stadiums or practice facilities could solve this problem.

Funding for an indoor stadium is a far-fetched accomplishment. Zach Davis, a junior for the Giants, stated, “The baseball program just wouldn’t have the funding for an indoor stadium. However, there are potential solutions on the horizon. Indoor batting cages, for instance, are an option that some teams utilize, and this helps if practice is canceled due to rain,” Davis said, offering a glimmer of hope amidst the bleak reality.

Rain is not only a problem recognized by Redwood athletes but a shared experience and common thread that unites baseball players nationwide. Sloan Smith, a semi-pro for the New York Yankees organization, has talked about how weather has impacted his career, echoing the sentiments of many others in the sport. 

A headshot of former minor-league player Sloan Smith. (Photo courtesy of Sloan Smith)

“One year, I played in the minor leagues in Tampa, Florida, while the Yankees’s new spring training field was being built. We played at a college field in South Florida; they didn’t have a tarp. It rained a lot in the summer. We had thunderstorms come in and had about ten rainouts that season,” Smith said. Smith found that the weather severely impacted his ability to train and better himself and his team.

Not only do rainouts come with frustration and disappointment, but also with hazards and injuries.

“There were instances where it was raining heavily, and players would round the bases, posing a significant danger. When the bases are slick due to rain, twisting an ankle or injuring a knee is easy. I witnessed a few players getting hurt on wet bases,” Smith said, highlighting the potential hazards of rainouts. 

The influence of weather on baseball, particularly the challenges posed by rain, is a shared experience as the most challenging obstacle in sports. From high school teams to professional organizations, the frustrations and disruptions caused by rainouts are significant. However, amidst these challenges, the resilience and determination of baseball players shine through as they adapt to adverse conditions and strive to overcome obstacles. While solutions such as indoor practice facilities may offer some help, addressing the broader issues surrounding weather-related disruptions requires collective effort and innovation. By investing in resources to mitigate the impact of inclement weather and prioritizing player safety, the baseball community at Redwood can ensure a more consistent and enjoyable experience for all involved, including fans, regardless of the forecast.