JV Lacrosse team beats St. Ignatius for first time in 10 years

The Redwood junior varsity (JV) Lacrosse team has not beaten St. Ignatius College Preparatory High School (SI) in over ten years. On Friday, April 19 the Giants faced the Wildcats where they barely clinched a 9-8 win to strengthen their record to 7-2. The play was intense with both sides going at it for the duration of the match.

Spencer Springfield (27) prepares to dodge defenders to score

Sophomore, Dylan Poncet says it was a close match decided in the final minutes.

“It was really back and forth”, Poncet said. “They would get [a goal] then we would get one.”

The first goal of the match was an incredible shot from Henry Barker, an attacker, making the score 1-0 in favor of the Giants. This was his first of a season-high five goals throughout the game. The Wildcats scored shortly after in response and the match came down to the wire. At halftime, Redwood was down 5-6. Poncet felt that the team lacked focus during the first half. 

“I think we were all really pumped for the hard matchup but that doesn’t mean our play was disciplined; I felt like we kept making stupid mistakes which let the other team score,” Poncet said.

The necessary spark came from Head Coach Jordan “Hundo” Hunnell, telling them that he wouldn’t return the next season and it was his last chance to see SI fall to his team.

Immediately, the team’s defense was incredible, holding the Wildcat’s offense to only two goals during the second half. The Wildcat’s physicality was costly, earning them multiple penalties for illegal hits. With precise and fast-paced ball movement, the Giants scored three straight goals in the second half with at least a one-player advantage. Poncet believes this was a key factor in the Giants’ win.

“We had a lot of man-up opportunities, even two-man ups, that we really took advantage of. They hit hard and paid the price,” Poncet said.

Their team chemistry was clearly showing as Sophomores Spencer Springfield and Rudy Vasquez scored two goals each. The team faced adversity when Barker’s lacrosse stick snapped during the third quarter. The team played solidly through the absence of their leading scorer and he soon came back with a new stick. The Giants would go on to end the game with a clutch goal from Barker and his new equipment sealing the win with the final score of 9-8.

While the win felt great for the team, Sophomore goalie Hayden O’Neil said it was bittersweet.

(Left to right) Redwood’s defensive squad, James O’Neill, Hayden O’Neill, Logan Mendoza, Gio Pugliese

“We played harder knowing that this would be one of the last games with Hundo. He’s a great coach and we are all sad that he won’t return for the next season” O’Neil said.

Poncet credits the win to key players on the roster.

“Henry Barker and Rudy Vasquez really showed up”, Poncet said. “Henry played an outstanding game while Rudy helped lead our mental [attitude] throughout the game.”

The Giants’ win over SI has them looking forward to a successful next season.