Freshman Haley Boyarski extends her arms to block a spike (Photo courtesy of Kim Wagner)
Setting the standard: Positivity in beach volleyball
Caroline VeleyMay 1, 2024

As the warm Spring weather approaches, many indoor volleyball players look for an alternative sport to fill their schedule while enjoying the...

Starting at Oracle Park, Solle fires a fastball towards home plate. Photo by Graham Weir.
Sports Spotlight: The Solle show
Jake PostMay 1, 2024

Rex Solle is a familiar name among Redwood students and local baseball fans. As a senior, the varsity baseball player is looking to add to his...

Illustration by Natalie Vinogradsky
Leveling the playing field: Equality for girls' basketball
Paige EdelenApril 30, 2024

Every year, the Marin County Athletic League (MCAL) championship boys’ basketball game occurs, attracting crowds from all over Marin. Students,...

Morgan’s Message Club hopes to spread awareness on athlete’s mental health

In 2014, Morgan Rodgers committed to play Division One lacrosse at Duke University. After a successful freshman year, she appeared as a season opener and on the ACC Academic Honor Roll. However, her sophomore year was unfortunately cut short. In January of 2017, Morgan endured a career-threatening knee injury. During a practice, just ten days before the lacrosse team’s first game, she suffered a level-three tear of her anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) which is one of the key ligaments that helps stabilize the knee joint. Due to the severity of it, she was unable to play the rest of her sophomore year season and feelings of isolation quickly consumed her. She was suffering in silence and tragically died of suicide on July 11, 2019, at the age of 22.

Morgan’s mother, Dona Rodgers recounts the vivid memories of Morgan’s life by remembering Morgan’s breathtaking personality and capability. 

Morgan Rodgers’ team headshot, sporting her Duke jersey. (Photo courtesy of Duke Women’s Lacrosse Website)

“Morgan, when she was here with us, was incredibly funny, outspoken, opinionated, kind and just an overall dynamic person. She had a lot of friends. She loved people. She loved to laugh. She loved to be silly. But also she was very focused,” Rodgers said. 

Rodger’s goal was to continue Morgan’s legacy by helping to offer guidance to other student-athletes struggling with mental health. She created Morgan’s Message, a non-profit to help normalize the stress of student-athletes and provide resources for those struggling. By expanding the organization to schools, it aims to normalize conversations about mental health and provide treatment for mental health in student-athletes.

“No one is ashamed to get treatment for cancer or diabetes or something like that. So obviously, I want to see the de-stigmatization around this topic of mental health in general,” Rodgers said. 

Morgan’s Message currently has 4,300 ambassadors present on 1,500 school campuses in the U.S., Canada and the U.K.

“I feel like Morgan’s message has helped me to feel like she’s still here. Because we’re doing the work that she would have done had she gotten the help that she needed. I don’t think there’s anything that means more to me,” Rodgers said. 

In the future, Rodgers wants the organization to take Morgan’s Message into workplaces and other establishments to spread the message further. 

“I want anyone out there that would ever read this article, that has ever gone through any sort of mental health challenge, to first of all know that you are not the first person to ever go through this. You are absolutely not alone and there is definitely someone out there who wants to help you,” Rodgers said.       

Inspired by this story, Morgan’s Message chapter was brought to Redwood last year by the girls’ varsity lacrosse coach, Lauren Yee. More recently they expanded the chapter at the beginning of this year. Three seniors, Nora Lynch, Avery Kaster and Mary Goldberg began the Morgan’s Message Club on campus to diminish the stress on student-athletes and spread awareness. 

Every other Wednesday the club meets to discuss plans and future endeavors. Maya Mihara, a club member, talked about what the club means to the team.

“I know people on the team and outside the team who have had mental health problems and I think since this isn’t a program specific to lacrosse, it’s important to spread [awareness],” Mihara said. 

Redwood’s girls varsity lacrosse team shows their Morgan’s Message game shirts and red bows. (Photo courtesy of Maya Mihara)

In the club, members can play any sport and come together to acknowledge the importance of mental health awareness. Mihara additionally mentions that Morgan’s Message organization is big, through college and high school teams, which leaves a wide impact on many levels and ages. 

The Redwood chapter is looking towards raising money through fundraising, a possible Morgan’s Message basketball game and putting up posters and information on their Instagram. Continue supporting Morgan’s Message during games, fundraisers and through social

RHS Morgan’s Message Instagram

Official Morgan’s Message Instagram