Starting at Oracle Park, Solle fires a fastball towards home plate. Photo by Graham Weir.
Sports Spotlight: The Solle show
Jake PostMay 1, 2024

Rex Solle is a familiar name among Redwood students and local baseball fans. As a senior, the varsity baseball player is looking to add to his...

Illustration by Natalie Vinogradsky
Leveling the playing field: Equality for girls' basketball
Paige EdelenApril 30, 2024

Every year, the Marin County Athletic League (MCAL) championship boys’ basketball game occurs, attracting crowds from all over Marin. Students,...

All students need media literacy training
Editorial StaffApril 30, 2024

The moon landing was staged and Apollo 13 never happened. QAnon. PizzaGate. Holocaust deniers. These are just a few of the endless conspiracies...

Chip Boaz brings a new tune with district experience

“I really love sharing music with young people, and I find it inspiring to see those that grow from that connection happening. I feel like music is really about people, and making that connection is important to me,” said Chip Boaz, the new music director at Redwood. 

Boaz is an accomplished musician as well as an experienced high school teacher who has taken over the music director position John Mattern retired from last year. He teaches all sections of the music program, including Intermediate Performance Workshop (IPW), Advanced Performance Workshop (APW), Concert Band, Symphonic Band and Jazz Band. Boaz’s background in music and teaching has set him up for success in this role. His love for music all stems from his first interest in guitar.

“I grew up in a family that was not really musically inclined, but when I was a teenager, [music] was the height of MTV, and it was the middle of the 80s and I really wanted to play guitar,” Boaz said. 

Around the age of 15, Boaz started on his music journey. From playing guitar at school, he discovered his passion for jazz, as well as a community centered around music, and never turned back. This devotion to music transformed into a career and Boaz became an active performer as a bass player. 

“Over the years as I’ve made my living as a performer, I’ve played everything from jazz, to classical, to rock, to salsa, to reggae and country,” Boaz said. “I have a jazz trio that plays all over Sonoma County. [We play] mostly original jazz that I write, along with some standards and whatnot.” 

Boaz plays bass for his trio, performing about once a week to several times a month. In addition to these performances, Boaz posts content online through social media, where he uploads clips of his live gigs and self-produced music. 

“I have a studio where I record music and create videos, and usually I post a full song about once a week on YouTube. On Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and all the other [platforms], I [post] usually shorter clips anywhere between four and six days a week, just to get the message out there,” Boaz said. 

While performing is a strong suit for Boaz, he also loves sharing music with young people. Since his early twenties, he has taught private music lessons for students. Boaz then began his teaching career at Archie Williams High School, where he worked as the music director for 23 years prior to this year, when he transferred to Redwood.

“I feel like there’s a really strong foundation here and some really strong programs, so I’m not looking to completely change everything, but I’m hoping that I can bring some of my expertise as a performer [to Redwood],” Boaz said. “I can bring kindness and connection to human beings, and a passion for music and musical excellence.”

“The music community has been great and the students are really awesome. They’re in here playing all the time, they love music, they’re kind and like a little family, ” Boaz said. (Photo by Harrison Lapic)

Junior Ally Woodruff, a student of Boaz, is currently enrolled in APW as well as the Jazz Band, and has been involved in the music department since she was a freshman. She recognizes the valuable qualities Boaz brings to the department. 

“He’s really enthusiastic, which definitely adds a lot. It was the first day, and I was a little nervous because he’s a lot more high-energy than Mr. Mattern was, and I was like, ‘Oh, my gosh, this is intense.’ But I think [his teaching style] really shows his love for music, and it definitely makes me more passionate about the class,” Woodruff said. 

Along with his enthusiasm, Woodruff reflects on the positive interactions she has had with Boaz so far in the school year. 

“He’s super encouraging. I had my first jazz mini-performance last Wednesday and I was nervous. It’s my first year in jazz, and I’ve never sung jazz before, so I was scared, and [Boaz] was just like, ‘You got this, you can do it,’” Woodruff said. “Afterward, he made sure to come up to me and tell me that I did really well. He always seems to take the extra time or the extra step in connecting with his students, and making them feel good about the work that they’ve produced.”