Redwood drama comes together for the One Act Festival
Gabriella Rouas, • April 27, 2024

On April 27 at 7 p.m., the drama department will come together to showcase the hard work and skills they have learned to the broader community...

A dough-licious journey: Donut Shops of Marin
Jackson Gurvich and Luke TemperoApril 27, 2024

Nothing is better than starting your day with a donut from your local donut shop. Marin County has many great donut establishments that...

The strings on Congressman Jared Huffman’s racket break as he returns a serve from senior Jackson Sichel.
Congressman Jared Huffman visits boys’ varsity tennis practice after MCAL championship
Matthew KnauerApril 27, 2024

The boys’ varsity tennis team has enjoyed an eventful past two weeks. On Wednesday, April 17, they beat the Archie Williams Falcons 7-0...

Explore these creative outlets around the Bay Area

From a young age, humans experience the joy of artistic expression. Even though we might be past the years of finger painting and drawing on walls, we can still exercise our creativity through different outlets, such as pottery glazing or candle-making. The Bay Area offers many creative spaces for art projects like these, where considerations such as cost, convenience and atmosphere each play an important role in making the experience worthwhile. 

STACKING TO THE highest shelf, Terra Mia offers a variety of pottery to paint.

Terra Mia: Located in Noe Valley, San Francisco, is Terra Mia, which offers a unique pottery painting experience each day of the week. The business was established in 1994 and has flourished ever since, inviting artists of all levels to practice their craft. Terra Mia carries over 100 pottery shapes including vases, mugs and dishware, along with over 50 glazes that individuals can select from. Terra Mia has an affordable price range, with unrestricted studio time amounting to $15 per person and pottery ranging from $6 to $50. While working o

n projects, visitors can enjoy the view of Noe Valley’s bustling streets and savor the sight of people painting around them. The studio includes multiple large and small round tables, making it the perfect spot for traveling solo or bringing a group of friends to tap into self-expression.

Moonshot: This fragrant haven, located on the corner of Castro St. and 24th St. in San Francisco, provides a serene space to create signature scents with candles, sprays and reed diffusers. Open Tuesday through Sunday, the studio offers over 80 fragrances to choose from, which can be mixed together to create a unique and custom product. Custom candles begin at $34 and sprays start at $16. When making a candle, participants also learn the process of blending scents and pouring wax into a chosen mold. As relaxing aromas fill the room and friendly employees offer their assistance, one can’t help but spend hours working on a special project.

BEAMING WITH NATURAL light, Studio4Art provides a welcoming space for beginners to create art.

Studio4Art: This vibrant art space located in downtown San Rafael welcomes all forms of creativity, including wheel throwing, pottery painting and art kits. Drop in between 9 a.m. and noon on Saturdays to experiment with new forms of art at any level. Studio time is free and includes your choice of paint color and brush size, while pre-fired pottery pieces range from $10 to $80. In addition to pottery painting, Studio4Art offers beginner wheel throwing lessons, making it the perfect place to learn from experienced instructors. The studio has a fun family-friendly atmosphere, providing inspiration for participants to explore their creative potential.

DISPLAYING A VARIETY of pre-fired options, Studio4Art creates a place for everyone.

Whether painting pottery or making candles, fueling the desire to create is essential to living a healthy and balanced life. Busy school schedules can make it challenging to find time for expressing one’s creativity, yet these activities are an important outlet for self-expression and stress relief.