A close game between Redwood Boys Lacrosse and Mater Dei. Photo Courtesy of Blake Atkins and Mark Holmstrom
How sports scholarships transform lives
Elena Dillon and Lily BellApril 25, 2024

Nothing fuels a high school athlete’s desire for success like the possibility of earning a college scholarship. Many student-athletes work...

Illustration by Cora Champommier
Our future is not a game!
Cora ChampommierApril 25, 2024

As I walk in the hallway with my giant Redwood Soccer parka, I look up to see Sabine, a freshman who performs well in my math class; I know...

Illustration by Lauren Olsen
Getting a job during high school: Does it ‘work’?
Henrik VraanesApril 25, 2024

Every year, fewer and fewer students are working jobs. In 2000, 43 percent of teens worked a job during the summer, but in 2021, the number...

Looking beyond the drama of “The Bachelor” season finale

3 hour bachelor finale tomorrow night! If it’s not the best finale you’ve ever seen I will personally come to your house and apologize,” read Sean Lowe’s Twitter account the day before the season final of The Bachelor.

Bad news: I won’t be meeting Sean Lowe anytime soon.

Good news: That was the best three hours of cable television I’ve seen since the finale of 16 & Pregnant.

Monday night’s episode, which received 9.99 million views worldwide, was full of drama, suspense, and emotion. It was reality TV at its finest. But as I sat on the edge of couch, heart fully engaged in the drama playing out before me, my mind began to wander.

How great has Sean Lowe’s life been since the filming of the show? He’s getting the big bucks to go on exotic dates with various hotties, as well as being featured in some of America’s top magazines such as US Weekly and People.

bachelor

The fun doesn’t stop there. He and his suitors got to stay at various vacation resorts while filming the show, ranging from Hollywood to Thailand and the Virgin Islands.

For Lowe, this sounds like a dream come true. But how about for the rest of the contestants? The story may not be the exact same.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems that the show’s viewing audience seems to care more about a blemish on the cheek of a contestant than the fact that Lowe has hooked up with 11 different girls in the same night.

The dynamic of this show never ceases to amaze me. It sets a double standard on social norms, and while I would love to trade places with Sean for a day or two, you couldn’t pay me enough to sign up as a contestant for the show.

At the same time, I do not at all feel bad for the contestants on the show. In 24 season of The Bachelor and The Bachelorette, only four of the relationships are still intact. This means that over 80% of the couples formed on the shows don’t last more than a couple months, which also means you have to be an idiot to sign up for the show.