Race at Redwood: Academic achievement

Robin Naylor

Hispanic and African American students perform far below White and Asian students at Redwood and in the TUHSD, according to the Western Association of Schools and Colleges report.

Every six years, Redwood conducts a report as required by California law to accredit public and charter schools regarding “capacity, commitment, and competence to support high-quality student learning and ongoing school improvement,” as stated by the WASC. While there is an external review process to encourage honesty and quality in the report, it is a self-study that the school conducts internally.

The data presented in these infographics has been taken from the 2014 WASC report and exhibits the academic and social disparity between various demographics at Redwood and TUHSD, specifically among races.

This page is the first component of a two-part series that explores the rift between different races in Redwood’s student body. In a future issue of The Bark, we will feature administrative and student perspectives.

By presenting this data, The Bark intends to bring to light a disparity among students of color, not to single out any demographic, but rather to spark a dialogue about academic equity.

gpa2
%no-caption% (leave this alone if you don’t want a caption)

academic-performance-and-race
According to Greatschools.org, “the purpose of the Academic Performance Index (API) is to measure the year-over-year growth in academic performance for California schools. The API summarizes a school’s standardized test scores into a single number, which ranges from 200 to 1000. The statewide API goal is 800 for all schools; higher numbers generally indicate better performance on the tests.”
Demographics

millard-naylor-race-issue (6)