A close game between Redwood Boys Lacrosse and Mater Dei. Photo Courtesy of Blake Atkins and Mark Holmstrom
How sports scholarships transform lives
Elena Dillon and Lily BellApril 25, 2024

Nothing fuels a high school athlete’s desire for success like the possibility of earning a college scholarship. Many student-athletes work...

Illustration by Cora Champommier
Our future is not a game!
Cora ChampommierApril 25, 2024

As I walk in the hallway with my giant Redwood Soccer parka, I look up to see Sabine, a freshman who performs well in my math class; I know...

Illustration by Lauren Olsen
Getting a job during high school: Does it ‘work’?
Henrik VraanesApril 25, 2024

Every year, fewer and fewer students are working jobs. In 2000, 43 percent of teens worked a job during the summer, but in 2021, the number...

Redwood gains crushing win against Drake

The varsity football team crushed Drake 61-13 on Halloween in a commanding win.

The game was practically won in the first half, largely due to Redwood setting the tone of the game early with the run game behind the legs of junior Nick Calzaretta. The Pirates plateaued at 13 points after Redwood’s aggressive defense stepped up and held the score steady.

Calzaretta runCalzaretta was a key player, breaking long gains play after play. He said that the line created holes in the defense for him, largely owing credit to them for his unstoppable running this game.

Calzaretta was briefly out of the game in the third quarter in order for an injury to be treated. The injury was only a cramp and he returned shortly afterwards in the fourth quarter.

The score difference was immense throughout, but there was a point where Redwood’s team realized the near impossible 34-point comeback Drake would need, so the Giants started experimenting and putting some less played players on field.

“We just had an awesome time putting our practice together and getting our big lead against Drake,” Calzaretta said. “I had faith in the linebackers to do what they do every practice.”