How much are we willing to pay for the Second Amendment?

After the countless mass shootings that have struck our country regularly throughout the last 30 years, many Americans expect the government to ameliorate gun legislation currently in place. Rather than making a difference, however, the government and its citizens have made a statement: there is no calamity so appalling and dreadful that America will reform its gun laws.

Despite the pattern of both indiscriminate and discriminatory killings throughout suburban areas within the country’s borders, it seems to be the price we’re willing to pay for our Second Amendment rights.

halford guns

Since 2000, the United States has endured over 130 mass shootings, far more than any other country in the world. Though these massacres share many similarities, one that has remained constant throughout each case is the American people’s reaction. The aftermath of each shooting begins with feelings of grief, which are followed by anguish and confusion, and succeeded by accusations of politicization. Foremost, every killing concludes with bluffs of governmental action. And saddest of all, the smallest of efforts to “heal” and “come together as a country” last for about a week before we return to our everyday lives.

Notwithstanding attempts of moderate legislation to expand background checks and ban assault weapons, the National Rifle Association (NRA) has far too much influence and control over Congress for gun law reform to take place. For over a decade, the NRA has repeatedly ‘shot down’ any gun legislation that has been proposed in the country’s seemingly impenetrable Congress.

Though countless polls show that the vast majority of Americans believe in stronger, more extensive background checks for potential gun-buyers, the NRA’s hold over Congress is far too strong for any federal action to take place.

Rather than making me angry, Jeb Bush’s recent comment about how “stuff happens” regarding the shooting in Oregon made me reflect on how accurately his quote symbolized not only the stagnation of our government, but also the lethargy and apathy of the country’s citizens. While many point out the flaws in the country’s government and mourn over those who lost their lives, most will not make any effort to create impactful change. We continue to let the “same dog bite us” over and over, making no effort to prevent a future massacre.

Right-wing gun activists ignore the overwhelming statistics that reveal countries with more gun laws experience lower rates of gun violence. Australia, for example, a country with strict gun laws, has not endured a mass shooting since 1996.

Some even argue that the country needs more guns for the protection of its citizens, which I find to be both irrational and implausible. To me, these arguments read, “We don’t care about innocent people murdered—we want our guns.” Those who oppose gun control completely ignore the overwhelming evidence that shows a correlation between stronger gun regulations and fewer shootings, historically.

The shooter in the recent massacre in Roseburg, Oregon obtained all of his guns legally. One of the largest flaws in the current system is that even a person with a history of mental illness and instability can obtain a firearm with ease. With more extensive background checks, ideally we can ensure that weapons are going into the hands of responsible gun owners.  In eight of the last 14 mass shootings, the shooter legally obtained a gun, passing background checks that they shouldn’t have.

In the democratic society in which we live, people have the right to stand up for what they believe. If those who support gun control become more vocal with their opinions, donate money to anti-gun organizations, rally in the streets, write their local government officials and make a strong case for gun control in the country, we could see concrete change in the near future. However, our misguided, half-hearted efforts have done nothing to prevent identical events from happening.

What angers me the most about this pattern is how the American people pretend to care. While we put forward devotion to the country’s lost ones, our efforts toward taking action seem both minimal and pitiful. So long as the country fails to make a thorough and passionate effort to reform gun laws, “stuff” will continue to happen, as Jeb Bush so eloquently put it.