Artificial Inteligence : The effect on our generation

After long hours of lectures in class, a science lab to complete, sports practice and extracurriculars, that one math assignment may just be...

Out of stock label teacher drawing
Indah HerzenbergApril 24, 2024

“In the US, there is a projected shortage of over 100,000 teachers by 2024,” stated Simbli, a company that helps to improve school districts...

A Month of Music

Junior Michael Schwarts fjkflejkelbfjkerbfkjlhehfew
Michael Schwartz, Tamara Frangoul, and Jeremy Goldwasser sit front row in the Jazz Band A performance.

For the past four weeks, students from the music department have showcased their hard work in over five different performances at various locations.

Highlights from this month included a performance at the Fenix Theater, a joint concert with students from College of Marin, and the Wind Ensemble/Symphonic Band spring concert.

Music Department Performs at Fenix Theater

Students from the Performance Workshop, Jazz Band A, and Jazz Band B graced the stage of the Fenix Theater in San Rafael on Monday, April 27,  with smooth jazz, pop, and classic songs.

Prior to entering the small lounge theater, family and friends paid an entrance fee of $10 before being seated around small tables where they had the option of purchasing drinks and horderves.

Unlike Redwood’s typical music performances, each of different music classes performed together, giving the audience a variety of music styles.

“I really enjoyed performing with the other classes,” said junior Marita Prodger, an intermediate performance workshop student.. “It was something a little different. We only really get to perform with different classes at Night of Blues, so this was an exciting change.”

For Prodger, the performance was a chance to have fun and gain experience.

“I like to perform a lot, so when Mr. Mattern announced this show, I kind of jumped on it because it helps me get more experience and comfortable on stage,” Prodger said.

For junior Josh Sparler, a saxophone player from Jazz Band A, performing on a big stage rather than in a gym was a necessary change.

“I love playing at the Phoenix. The atmosphere is so much different than playing in Redwood’s gym or the CEA. It really gave me a good feel on how professional musicians perform.” Sparler said.

Highlights from the night included an acoustic guitar version of Britney Spears’ “Toxic,” performed by Miles Johnson,  and High Tide’s cover of “New Coat of Paint,” by Tom Waits.

Music Program Performs with College Of Marin

On Thursday, May 8, Jazz Band A, Jazz Band B, and Advanced Performance Workshop continued their streak of performances with a joint performance with the College of Marin Jazz band.

DSC_0900 copy
Evan Miyawaki stands up to solo in the Jazz Band A concert.
DSC_0879 copky
Jake Baldwin plays the upright base with his band, “Sequoia.”

Wind Ensemble/Symphonic Band Spring Concert

Thursday night’s Wind Ensemble/Symphonic Band Spring Concert had the gym packed with an eager audience.

The program began with the Symphonic Band and progressed to the Wind Ensemble, where junior trumpet-player Jason Seavey and sophomore flute-player Jeremy Goldwasser each performed concertos.

Following the concertos, junior Michael Schwartz, Jeremy Goldwasser and junior Alison Wood each conducted a movement of, “The Three Spanish Ladies.”

To end the show, music teacher Mr. Mattern chose the famous, “Festival Prelude.”

Jeremy Goldwasser holds his flute proudly after performing his concerto.
Someone plays saxophone in the symphonic band.
Junior Andrew Narlock plays saxophone during the symphonic band performance.