Performance Workshop Winter Concert Series

Sophomore Bryte Darden performs in the Advanced Performance Workshop on Wednesday night.
Sophomore Bryte Darden performs in the Advanced Performance Workshop on Wednesday night. Photo by Lianne Pearce

The Intermediate and Advance Performance Workshop classes hosted their final concerts of the semester in the little theater on Dec. 8, Dec. 9 and 15, respectively.

Music teacher John Mattern hosted the events, which were originally scheduled to be consecutive concerts, but was rescheduled due to the school’s closure on Dec. 10.

Students practiced pieces of their choosing and performed a variety of genres, such as classic rock and country music, during their final showcase.

Senior Vitti Naifi is a member of the intermediate class and chose to perform the classic rock songs “Let it Be” and “Fortunate Son.”

“[Mattern] gives us a lot of freedom to do anything as long as you’re serious about it,” Naifi said, in reference to the students’ choice in selecting songs and musical groups.

According to Naifi, in the weeks leading up to the classes’ final performance, Mattern assigns a new song to work on every week. The class holds in-class performances to practice performing on stage.

“It’s hard to get performance experience, especially at this age,” Naifi said. “I was inspired to join this class because it allowed me to perform with a variety of people.”