Car driving through massive flooding in Downtown Tiburon, Marin County (Photo courtesy of Sydney Johnson).
Coastal concerns: Marin county braces for impact of rising sea levels
Scarlett MusgroveApril 25, 2024

The average sea levels have increased by more than 8 inches since 1880, with roughly three of those inches being added in the past 25 years,...

Varsity softball defeats former MCAL champions

Sophomore Emily Todd slides across home plate

Last Thursday afternoon girls varsity softball defeated last year’s MCAL champions, San Marin, by a score of 6-1.

According to sophomore Kara Mia Reilly, the outcome of a game against a high-ranking team like San Marin depends on the team’s mindset going into it.

“If you have the attitude of ‘we’re going to win,’ we’re going to do well,” Reilly said. “The past games have shown that we have a lot of potential, we just need to realize it.”

As in previous years, the team consists of 19 players, making the team slightly larger than their rival teams.

“It’s like we are all in a constant competition with one another, we all love each other but in the end of the day we are trying to do our best to get out there and get our playing time,” Reilly said. “It makes us stronger because we’re looking at each other going ‘How do I do that?’ or ‘How can I improve myself to get to that level?’”

Coach Gary Casassa said freshman Sabrina Nunez is a girl to watch out for this season. Nunez has played on the best teams in the summer softball league and is now one of the top players in the state.

Over the next two weeks, the team will face some challenging opponents including both San Rafael and Marin Catholic.

“I think we’ll give them a run for their money,” Nunez said. “We are a young team, but we’re still pretty talented.”

The team now ranks fifth in MCAL and will play their next game against Analy High School on March 18.