Tiburon Candy Shop closes due to rising rent
Lucy JeffersApril 26, 2024

The Candy Store on Main Street in Tiburon has served the community since February 1997 as a local attraction, garnering visitors from all over...

Advocating for non-binary inclusion in high school restrooms
Brooklyn Saputo and Storey GerberApril 26, 2024

Non-binary students seek recognition every day, in every space they occupy. The “women” and "men” signs on public restrooms...

The double-duty life of Dr. Melanie Baskind
Paige CataneseApril 26, 2024

Melanie Baskind knows how to make an impact both on and off the field, from assisting student-athletes to saving lives in the hospital. A pediatric...

Intramural volleyball tournament heats up lunch time

Intramural volleyball shows that while the gymnasium walls may have more pennants and awards hung up than Tom Brady’s old room in his parents’ house, not all competition commences under a rigid MCAL rulebook.

This year marks the 18th annual lunch-time intramural volleyball tournament. Teams of students across multiple grade levels, genders, and varying athletic abilities formed to join in one sporting endeavour which makes no cuts.

“It can get competitive,” said sophomore participant Matthew Tracy. “Especially if you’re playing a team of friends that you know. We want to win, it’s bragging rights.”
Games take place at lunch on the South Lawn, and are officiated two at a time by PE teacher Mike Dibley. Dibley said that while maximum participation is his goal, there is a competitive drive to win among the squads.

“It’s cool when you want to take it seriously and win, and get the money,” Tracy said.

Initial qualifying games of the tournament came to a close this week, and the elimination round begins on Tuesday.