The future is now? Questioning career choices

What are you going to be?

At a recent Career Conversation, the presenter went around the room and asked the few attendees what we were “going to be.” It’s reasonable to assume she meant what we planned on pursuing as careers. Most of us have been posed this question before, but in a tone used to evoke responses such as princess and president, and instead she asked us in complete sincerity. Answers around the room varied, but one thing was constant – no one wavered in giving their answer. When she came to me, I stammered. “Uh… a doctor, I guess? But I want to be an English major. So I don’t know…” I trailed off, and she continued with her presentation.

While my opinion may contradict that of some of my peers, as a 17 old, I don’t think I know anything. Sure, I understand cell division and the symbolism of Godot’s absence, but what do I really know?

We’re expected to know what we’re going to pursue as careers from an increasingly early age. As soon as sophomore year, students can tailor their schedules to take prerequisites that will prepare them for courses in college, which will in turn prepare them for graduate school and beyond. But this is high school, after all.

I don’t know anything. And I’m not saying this in denial or as a rebuttal to a bad math test score – as a senior in high school, I’m just breaking the surface of knowledge about myself and the world around me. So how am I supposed to be certain of my plan of attack for the next few decades of my life?

Some say with this economy and tight job market, it’s crucial to know what you plan on doing as soon as possible. In addition, with the ludicrous cost of a college education, it seems a waste to get a degree in a field you don’t end up working in. This approach is pragmatic, sure, but also overwhelming. Students can either feel pigeon-holed into pursuing certain majors and careers based on familial and peer pressure before they can even drive or vote. High school should be a time for expanding one’s educational world, and taking risks in classes. I never knew I had a passion for studying anatomy until I took Physiology on a whim last year.

I’m in no way condemning those who are determined enough to be on a career track. On the contrary, it’s impressive that some are so focused. But the notion that high schoolers should know what their future job will be absurd. I find it exciting — in a somewhat anxiety-inducing way – to look ahead and see a blank slate.

Life doesn’t start at 17. The transition into adulthood isn’t a question posed in a serious fashion. Perhaps maturity comes from accepting that we don’t know what our futures will hold instead of knowing what our futures will be.

What are you going to be?

Does it matter? No. Give us time. We’ve got the rest of our lives to figure it out.