Is hookup culture progressive or detrimental?
Jamie GlennonApril 26, 2024

“Sex, because it is such a vulnerable thing, can open up all of these tender and vulnerable parts of us. Those who don’t have a strong and...

Boba bliss: discovering Marin Countys finest bubble tea destinations
Boba bliss: discovering Marin County's finest bubble tea destinations
Kai GaultierApril 26, 2024

In Marin County, where natural beauty meets great food, boba shops add to the culinary charm. In this review, I’ll explore the numerous boba...

Lucy MillerApril 26, 2024

Do you know the Muffin Man? Best muffins of Marin

There is nothing quite like waking up to a warm muffin; so to start off this semester, the Bark went on the hunt for the best muffin in Marin. We went around and tested the delicious treat at three popular baked good destinations on College and Magnolia Avenue.

We compared the banana nut muffins from the Half-Day Café, Woodlands Market, and Rustic Bakery in order to find Marin’s best muffin. They were rated on a 5-star scale dependent on appearance, taste, and price.

Half Day Cafe Muffin
Half Day Cafe muffin

Half-Day Café: 2 stars

Although the breakfast from the Half Day Café is thoroughly enjoyable, their muffin sadly disappointed me. The outside appearance is what first turned me off, as it looked like a big square of sugar sitting on top of a muffin wrapper. The taste of it was not much betterthe top was coated in a layer of sugar with nuts mashed on top of the muffin. The inside was overly moist, with clumps of fruit in every bite, which was also a let down. Though the muffin was disappointing, its price was relatively low, at $2.75, which is a reasonable price for a small bite to eat.

Woodlands Market muffin
Woodlands Market muffin

Woodlands: 3.5 stars

The saying “don’t judge a book by its cover” applies to the banana nut muffin from Woodlands Market. The outside of the muffin looked dry, with clumps of nuts sticking out of the top. Although its appearance may not be alluring, the muffins perfect banana flavor inside makes up for this. The nuts on top create a crunchy outside, while the inside has a soft interior with just the right amount of banana flavor. The muffins are sold in both the market and in the Café, so you can eat them on the go, or as your meal. The price is also excellent- at $1.75 it is the cheapest of the three muffins, which is a major benefit.

Rustic Bakery muffin
Rustic Bakery muffin

Rustic Bakery: 4.5 stars

Like many other baked goods from Rustic Bakery, their muffin is both good looking and delicious. It has a golden brown tint and is sprinkled with little pieces of sugar, and is delicately wrapped in a decorative paper. The sugar on the outside gives it the perfect amount of necessary crunch, while the inside is soft and chewy. The one downside to the Rustic’s muffin is the price, which ranges from $3.25-$4.25, but they’re worth it.