Public protests and perspectives
Public protests and perspectives
Ava Stephens, Gabriella Rouas, Aanika Sawhney, Nadia Massoumi and Grace GehrmanJune 29, 2024

Reflejando otra vez con los ELD seniors
Reflejando otra vez con los ELD seniors
Ava CarlsonJune 27, 2024

El año pasado, tuve la oportunidad de hablar con estudiantes del grado 12 en la clase de English Language Development (ELD) sobre sus experiencias...

Illustration by Ava Stephens
A letter to sophomores: how to run next year’s marathon
Alana LeiferJune 27, 2024

Are you a sophomore excited for your junior year? Are you going to college? Have you taken the SAT? Where are you applying? What's your GPA?...

You’ll be booked for the summer with these page turners

As summer approaches and time spent on homework dies down, summer reading becomes more and more appealing. Whether you enjoy a light-hearted fiction book or a thought-provoking memoir, there are many options to choose from at local libraries and bookstores. I have recommended the books below with the following considerations in mind: the quality of the plot, the intrigue of the story and the pace at which each book can be read. Hopefully, a few from this list will give you a pleasant pastime in these upcoming months. 

“People We Meet on Vacation” by Emily Henry:

“People We Meet on Vacation” by Emily Henry (Photo courtesy of Goodreads)

This is a popular romance novel that tells the story of best friends Alex and Poppy, who take a week long vacation every summer until they have a falling out. After not speaking for a few years, Poppy decides to reach out to Alex and ask for one last vacation, during which the two attempt to fix their friendship and uncover its flaws. This book is a perfect beach read, and it encapsulates everything that you would want for a summer escape, so definitely pick it up if you pass it in the store.

“Every Summer After” by Carley Fortune:

“Every Summer After” by Carley Fortune (Photo courtesy of Goodreads)

This Canadian romance novel is a bit predictable, but nonetheless a great summer read. The story begins when Persephone Fraser, the main character in the novel, purchases a summer cabin in Barry’s Bay next door to the Florek family. Over the next six summers, Persephone falls in love with one of the Florek boys. She awaits summer every day she is back in Toronto so she can return to see him in Barry’s Bay. But one night years later, everything is ruined. It isn’t until many years later that tragedy calls her back to Barry’s Bay and Persephone is reunited with her past, and simultaneously forced to confront her future. This novel is similar to some of the other romances mentioned in this review and is sure to please anyone looking for a fast-paced read. If you happen to be going on a lake vacation this summer, don’t forget to bring this book with you!

“November 9th” by Colleen Hoover:

“November 9th” by Colleen Hoover (Photo courtesy of Goodreads)

This romance was highly popularized on TikTok, like many other Colleen Hoover books, and truly lives up to the hype. Fallon O’Neil, the main character, is an aspiring actress with a tragic upbringing and has plans to move to New York City to pursue a fresh start. But the day before she is set to leave, she meets Benton “Ben” James Kessler. After meeting, they decide to reunite for one day every year, November 9th. This is a compelling read for anyone who enjoys romance novels in general, as it includes many popular tropes. If you need a quick read for summer, pick up this book and pack it away in your beach bag.

“The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” by Taylor Jenkins Reid:

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” by Taylor Jenkins Reid (Photo courtesy of Goodreads)

This fiction novel encapsulates the reader with its twists and turns, and an old Hollywood plot that not only exposes the truths of main character Evelyn Hugo’s love life and path to fame, but also gives insight into the experiences and discrimination that  LGBTQ+ individuals faced during the 1950s. This book is perfect for anyone who enjoys a little bit of history in their reading, while also getting the drama and mystery of Reid’s work. “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” reads extremely fast and most readers could probably finish it in one or two sittings. If you have a long drive or flight ahead of you this summer, this book is the one for you. 

“Educated” by Tara Westover:

“Educated” by Tara Westover (Photo courtesy of Goodreads)

A bit different than the rest of the light-hearted novels, this memoir by author Tara Westover will leave you feeling shocked, inspired and grateful. Westover was born and raised by a bipolar father in rural Idaho in the 80s and 90s. The memoir details her life growing up, and her journey to independence and freedom from the mental and physical barriers of her family and hometown. Westover’s writing style, combined with the tragic and shocking experiences of her childhood, immediately pulls the reader in. From injuries and romances to education and politics, this book truly covers a lifetime of events. Even if memoirs aren’t your thing, I cannot recommend this book enough and you should definitely pick it up for summer.

“Paper Towns” by John Green:

“Paper Towns” by John Green (Photo courtesy of Goodreads)

“Paper Towns” is something I didn’t expect to see from John Green after watching his Crash Course history videos. But, after remembering that Green also authored “The Fault in Our Stars,” it all made sense. This mystery takes you through the senior year of Quentin Jacobsen and his obsessive search for a missing girl, his neighbor Margo Roth Spiegelman. Based in Florida, Green’s novel takes you through the adventures and detective work of Quentin, and although it starts slower than some of the other options in this review, you’ll be struggling to put it down by the end. Anyone who enjoys mystery will appreciate this light-hearted novel.

“I’m Glad My Mom Died” by Jennette McCurdy:

“I’m Glad My Mom Died” by Jennette McCurdy (Photo courtesy of Goodreads)

This award-winning memoir is equal parts hilarious and heartbreaking. It details the life of former Disney star Jennette McCurdy’s rise to stardom as a child to her struggles with addiction and eating disorders, all of which eventually led to her exit the industry. This book is perfect for anyone who enjoys nonfiction and learning about mental health, as it details the mental struggles associated with eating disorders and parental pressure. It also touches on the complexities of grief and leaves you with many thoughts and reflections about your own life and the lives of those around you. This book gives readers new perspectives and a better understanding of what goes on behind the scenes for child actors in some situations.

Summer reading may be associated with the local library reading challenges of our childhood, or parents telling you to pick up a book instead of a screen. Nonetheless, there is nothing better than flipping through a good book in the summer sun. So if you are looking for something to occupy yourself this summer, stop by your local library or bookstore to pick up one — or all — of these books to read!