Twelve seniors were presented with awards to recognize their commitment to being outstanding high school athletes (Photo by Zoe Gister).
Redwood senior athletes recognized in new venue celebration
Charlotte LacyMay 30, 2024

On May 20, senior athletes, parents and coaches gathered at Sam’s Anchor Cafe in Tiburon to recognize and celebrate the seniors committed...

Smiling and holding their floats, seniors make the most of their lunch.
Seniors stay a-float for senior week
Hannah HerbstMay 29, 2024

On Tuesday, May 28, after a long Memorial Day Weekend and with only twelve more academic days left of school, leadership kicked off Senior...

Boys’ varsity baseball marks history with first-ever state playoff victory
Will ParsonsMay 29, 2024

On May 28, the Giants’ varsity baseball team took on the Carmel Padres in the first Norcal state playoff game in the program’s history. The...

The Spanish department holds Salsa and Samba dancing for classes

On March 21, the World Language Development department brought culture to the classroom through Salsa and Samba dancing. Spanish teacher Melissa Zeiher took her fourth through sixth period classes outside to enjoy an hour of dancing and fun. 

Salsa teacher Fernanda Cedeno was hired and funded by the World Language Development department, giving her a chance to share her culture with Marin students. Cendeno grew up in Ecuador and learned to dance when she was young. There, she earned her Bachelor of Arts in International Business from the University of Ecuador. Cedeno now owns a dance studio in San Rafael called Fernanda Dance and Fitness Studio. 

Sophomore Sabina Lueng attended the class and was amazed by the experience.

“I think dancing is a very big part of Latin culture,” Lueng said. “[It is] is a great way to express yourself and find a community.”

The event took place at the amphitheater and was offered to current Spanish students. It was memorable for Lueng to be able to experience another culture firsthand.  

“[Dancing] connects you to culture,” Lueng said. “I think it was really fun to also have everyone [in the class] there to do it with me.” 

Cedeno shows the class how to salsa dance, while students observe and attempt to dance along with her.

Zeiher has been a large contributor to introducing culture into the Spanish curriculum at Redwood. She requested a community arts grant to attract Latinx artists and teachers to the advanced Spanish and English Language Development (ELD) classes. 

“We want to show students that [there are resources] available to them so they can get an introduction to and participate in other cultures,” Zeiher said. 

Zeiher discussed the representation of different cultures in Marin and expressed the significance of bringing culture into her classroom. 

“It was important to us [Spanish teachers] that the ELD students have representation and see creative Latinx people in their community,” Zeiher said. 

Zeiher believes that giving students opportunities to experience other cultures is a great way to learn more about themselves and the world.

“For our Spanish students, we want them to have the opportunity to have contact with local community members and bring the [Spanish] language to life, [so we can] celebrate its culture and creativity,” Zeiher said. “[The Spanish department] has been able to bring in parts of what makes us excited about Spanish. It’s not just being able to learn about another language; it is about being able to participate in another culture.”