Voices of Measure A
Voices of Measure A
Tessa TuatiniApril 26, 2024

Voices of measure A by Tessa Tuatini

Smiling proudly, Sammy Chew poses for a picture behind the Surfrider Foundation table (Courtesy of Adriella Marcus)
Coastal advocacy and youth involvement:
Estelle SmithApril 26, 2024

On the first warm sunny weekends in Marin, families, high school kids, dogs and surfers alike all flocked to Stinson Beach to have some fun in...

TUHSD holds first annual Students of Color Retreat
TUHSD holds first annual Students' of Color Retreat
Melanie CanulApril 26, 2024

On March 29, the Tamalpais Union High School District (TUHSD) organized and held its first-ever Students of Color Retreat. The retreat was held...

The impact of the potential ‘NO’ on Measure A

As the clock ticks down to see if Measure A will pass, its current ‘Yes’ count is at 53.8 percent, with 55 needed to pass. An estimated 50 ballots are left to count, and updates will be posted by Friday, March 22. Tamalpais Union High School District (TUHSD) schools’ aging infrastructure faces dire prospects, as enacted by Mike Woolard, senior director of the facilities planning for Measure A.

“[For instance, a] heating unit is good for 20 years, and right now [the ones we have are] on year 24. It’s past its service life. It’s inevitable [that the buildings are] going to fail. If [similar outdated utilities] fail at the same time, we have a big problem because we don’t have the funds to replace that,” Woolard said.

According to the

County of Marin, Measure A is a measure meant to repair and upgrade local high schools by updating outdated facilities, such as replacing leaking

Displaying a point of resolution for one of the Tam District schools (Tamalpais High School) which Measure A hopes to address, an aged set of stairs leads to an elevated exit which then leads to a cracked concrete walkway. (Photo Courtesy of Foresight Planning & Development)

roofs and inefficient heating, cooling, ventilation, and more. If the measure receives 55 percent of the vote, TUHSD will be authorized to issue more than half a billion dollars in bonds. 

Corbett Elsen, the district’s Assistant Superintendent for Business and Operations, emphasized that such efforts are for the safety and insurance of students. Redwood and Archie Williams High School are over 60 years old, while Tamalpais High School (Tam) is over 100 years old. Despite these schools receiving acclaim for high-quality education, the state of the buildings needs to be updated and kept up to standard.

“Safety is the number one responsibility we have for students behind educating them,”Elsen said. “There is a California law that if the cost of renovating a building up to its safety code… is more than 50 percent of what it would cost to [simply] replace it, then you must replace it,” Elsen said. 

Woolard stresses the importance of renovation and explains the possible negative implications of not renovating facilities to meet code.

“We have a lot of indicators that if we don’t maintain and improve some of our facilities, we will be in a spot where it could cause us to have to close down schools,” Woolard said

Corbett emphasizes that Measure A’s sole purpose is to protect students and allow them to flourish in a safe environment. Measure A surpasses just repairing schools but it also invests in the future of youth at TUHSD schools. 

“We want all of our students, whether from Archie, Tam or Redwood, [to have access to] the facilities to support the same learning outcomes,” Corbett said.