Twelve seniors were presented with awards to recognize their commitment to being outstanding high school athletes (Photo by Zoe Gister).
Redwood senior athletes recognized in new venue celebration
Charlotte LacyMay 30, 2024

On May 20, senior athletes, parents and coaches gathered at Sam’s Anchor Cafe in Tiburon to recognize and celebrate the seniors committed...

Smiling and holding their floats, seniors make the most of their lunch.
Seniors stay a-float for senior week
Hannah HerbstMay 29, 2024

On Tuesday, May 28, after a long Memorial Day Weekend and with only twelve more academic days left of school, leadership kicked off Senior...

Boys’ varsity baseball marks history with first-ever state playoff victory
Will ParsonsMay 29, 2024

On May 28, the Giants’ varsity baseball team took on the Carmel Padres in the first Norcal state playoff game in the program’s history. The...

Exploring Bob Marley’s Musical Legacy: A Review of ‘One Love’

As soon as I stepped into the theater, I could feel the vibrant energy from those around me. Bob Marley was known for his upbeat music and love for others. Before going on stage in 1976 at his Smile Jamaica concert, Marley was nearly murdered.

The Bob Marley Movie: One Love poster advertises the new release, in theaters Feb. 14 (Photo courtesy of IMDb)

Due to this traumatic experience, he wrote his most famous song, “One Love,” which is also the name of the movie. In the past decades, Marley’s legacy has lived on through his songs. Released by Paramount Pictures in theaters on Feb. 14, the exciting story “Bob Marley: One Love,” starring Kingsley Ben-Adir as Bob Marley, is a film highlighting different moments from Marley’s life.

Directed by Reinaldo Marcus Green, the movie starred several famous actors, including James Norton as Chris Blackwell, founder of Island Records and Lashana Lynch as Rita Marley, Bob Marley’s wife. Despite receiving poor reviews, the film generated approximately $120 million in revenue worldwide. The bad reviews were most likely because of the film’s portrayal of violence. For those sensitive to violence or looking for a more positive display of the musician’s life, these graphic scenes may take away from the overall enjoyment and appreciation of the film.

The movie’s unique features, such as gang violence, peace and love, creates a drama-filled action that, sometimes, is hard to follow. The film covers different experiences from Marley’s life, stretching from his engagement with Rita Marley and Jamaican political struggles to his troubled personal relationships.

Actor Kingsley Ben-Adir playing Bob Marley in Bob Marley: One Love (Photo courtesy of World Music Views)

As the movie portrays these aspects of Marley’s life, it makes the movie more challenging to follow because they did a poor job of making the plot understandable. While the film definitely has its faults, it’s an admirable attempt to honor Bob Marley’s legacy. Out of five, I would rate the movie a two due to its complicated plot and the use of violence. Despite attempting to honor Marley’s legacy, these factors impact the film’s overall enjoyment.