Voices of Measure A
Voices of Measure A
Tessa TuatiniApril 26, 2024

Voices of measure A by Tessa Tuatini

Smiling proudly, Sammy Chew poses for a picture behind the Surfrider Foundation table (Courtesy of Adriella Marcus)
Coastal advocacy and youth involvement:
Estelle SmithApril 26, 2024

On the first warm sunny weekends in Marin, families, high school kids, dogs and surfers alike all flocked to Stinson Beach to have some fun in...

TUHSD holds first annual Students of Color Retreat
TUHSD holds first annual Students' of Color Retreat
Melanie CanulApril 26, 2024

On March 29, the Tamalpais Union High School District (TUHSD) organized and held its first-ever Students of Color Retreat. The retreat was held...

Exploring Bob Marley’s Musical Legacy: A Review of ‘One Love’

As soon as I stepped into the theater, I could feel the vibrant energy from those around me. Bob Marley was known for his upbeat music and love for others. Before going on stage in 1976 at his Smile Jamaica concert, Marley was nearly murdered.

The Bob Marley Movie: One Love poster advertises the new release, in theaters Feb. 14 (Photo courtesy of IMDb)

Due to this traumatic experience, he wrote his most famous song, “One Love,” which is also the name of the movie. In the past decades, Marley’s legacy has lived on through his songs. Released by Paramount Pictures in theaters on Feb. 14, the exciting story “Bob Marley: One Love,” starring Kingsley Ben-Adir as Bob Marley, is a film highlighting different moments from Marley’s life.

Directed by Reinaldo Marcus Green, the movie starred several famous actors, including James Norton as Chris Blackwell, founder of Island Records and Lashana Lynch as Rita Marley, Bob Marley’s wife. Despite receiving poor reviews, the film generated approximately $120 million in revenue worldwide. The bad reviews were most likely because of the film’s portrayal of violence. For those sensitive to violence or looking for a more positive display of the musician’s life, these graphic scenes may take away from the overall enjoyment and appreciation of the film.

The movie’s unique features, such as gang violence, peace and love, creates a drama-filled action that, sometimes, is hard to follow. The film covers different experiences from Marley’s life, stretching from his engagement with Rita Marley and Jamaican political struggles to his troubled personal relationships.

Actor Kingsley Ben-Adir playing Bob Marley in Bob Marley: One Love (Photo courtesy of World Music Views)

As the movie portrays these aspects of Marley’s life, it makes the movie more challenging to follow because they did a poor job of making the plot understandable. While the film definitely has its faults, it’s an admirable attempt to honor Bob Marley’s legacy. Out of five, I would rate the movie a two due to its complicated plot and the use of violence. Despite attempting to honor Marley’s legacy, these factors impact the film’s overall enjoyment.