Tagalong for this adventureful Girl Scout cookie review

Seven of nine Girl Scout cookie options are lined up from Adventurefuls (left) to Toffee-tastics (right). (Photo by Anna Youngs)

It’s that time of year again! You may have noticed tables set up outside of every grocery store and maybe you even heard the knock of an eager salesperson at your door… it’s Girl Scout cookie season. The best Girl Scout cookie is a largely debated topic, but I am here to settle the argument. Here is the lineup of the 2024 Girl Scout cookies ranked from worst to best. 

Toffee-tastic

This cookie has a very sweet and buttery flavor with crunchy toffee bits incorporated throughout. They do not look appetizing and the taste does not make up for it. However, it is the one and only gluten-free option provided by the Girl Scouts. If you aren’t gluten-free, I would advise you to maybe skip this box. 

Adventurefuls

One of the newer cookies on the roster, Adventurfuls are an indulgent brownie-inspired cookie with caramel-flavored cream and a hint of sea salt. Being one of the more busy cookies, Adventurfuls don’t quite meet the mark. They are mediocre tasting and there is too much going on. If you decide to buy these, take the name quite literally and don’t go through with it unless you are an adventurous eater.

Do-si-dos

This is the cookie that most people forget about, for a good reason. The Do-si-do is an oatmeal sandwich cookie with a peanut butter filling. The oatmeal is hard to pick up on but the peanut butter flavor is almost too potent. These cookies are arguably the subpar version of a Tagalong. However, these are a great alternative for those who dislike chocolate but love peanut butter.

Lemon-ups

Sometimes, a crispy lemon-flavored cookie is precisely what you want for a sweet treat. These Lemon-ups are delicious and refreshing cookies. However, lemon-flavored dessert haters should steer clear because each bite has a strong lemon punch. There’s even an inspirational message, “I am a go-getter” engraved in each cookie! 

Trefoils

These iconic shortbread cookies do not disappoint, especially for those with less adventurous palettes. Derived from the original Girl Scout recipe, Trefoils are a relatively common purchase for many. They are even shaped in the Girl Scout logo to represent their history.

S’mores

S’mores are one of the more controversial cookies on the 2024 lineup. With an adorable graham cracker sandwich look, these cookies win for the most aesthetically pleasing design. They consist of a chocolate and marshmallow filling between graham cracker sandwich cookies. If you are wanting to try something new, you should grab a box of these. 

Tagalongs

These classic cookies are like Reese’s peanut butter cups in cookie form. Although they aren’t everyone’s first choice, most people pick up a box or two when purchasing their annual order. Peanut butter fans would definitely appreciate these crispy, chocolate-coated cookies.

Thin Mints

These crispy mint chocolate cookies have been America’s favorite since their invention. They are light and refreshing, yet rich and delectable. The mint is natural and not at all overpowering. Many even freeze these cookies for a cool treat or blend them into milkshakes as an add-on. These are a must-try if you want to buy a box of Girl Scout cookies. 

Samoas

Samoas, also known as Caramel deLites in certain states, are well-renowned crowd-pleasers. With a chocolate base and caramel-filled cookie middle layer topped with toasted coconut, these cookies boast the second-place ribbon on the Girl Scouts’ official bestseller list, just behind Thin Mints. Even if you don’t like coconut, it’s worth giving these cookies a try.

The number of options can be overwhelming, but choosing cookies based on the flavor notes depicted on each box instead of by appearance is the best method to find something you will like. When in doubt, there are three types of Girl Scout cookies that everyone should try: Thin Mints, Samoas and Tagalongs.