Voices of Measure A
Voices of Measure A
Tessa TuatiniApril 26, 2024

Voices of measure A by Tessa Tuatini

Smiling proudly, Sammy Chew poses for a picture behind the Surfrider Foundation table (Courtesy of Adriella Marcus)
Coastal advocacy and youth involvement:
Estelle SmithApril 26, 2024

On the first warm sunny weekends in Marin, families, high school kids, dogs and surfers alike all flocked to Stinson Beach to have some fun in...

TUHSD holds first annual Students of Color Retreat
TUHSD holds first annual Students' of Color Retreat
Melanie CanulApril 26, 2024

On March 29, the Tamalpais Union High School District (TUHSD) organized and held its first-ever Students of Color Retreat. The retreat was held...

The Library refresh project set for the 2024-25 school year

Beginning in June 2024, the Library Refresh Project will take place with the intention of creating a more comfortable and versatile place for both students and teachers to use. The renovation of the space will include refurnishing, repainting and the replacement of old books. It is planned to be completed by the first day of school, Aug. 21, 2024. 

Throughout the school day and after hours, many students consistently rely on the library’s peaceful environment for doing homework, tutoring, and socializing with their peers.

Despite not having been renovated since the early 1960s, the library remains one of the most popular areas on campus for students to spend their time in. Students at Redwood can often be found studying, tutoring or socializing in the library, emphasizing the urgency for the upcoming renovation. The Redwood Foundation Board recently approved a $350,000 grant to go towards the library renovations and is currently working with Redwood administration and the Tamalpais Union High School District (TUHSD) to develop a plan for the space. The updated layout will ideally promote learning, community and collaboration. Kathleen Savastano, the library specialist since 2019, explains how the renovation ideas were brought about five years ago.

“Back in 2019, I noticed that the library chairs looked pretty scruffy. I said [the chairs] were shabby, but not in a chic way. So I [ended up telling TUHSD] and I wrote a grant request,” Savastano said. 

Five years after her initial grant request, Savastano eagerly awaits what’s to come for the library, given that most of the furniture in the library is from the original layout from 1964.

Saum Zargar, assistant principal, is overseeing the project. As part of the designing process, a survey was conducted in December in order to receive direct feedback from those who would be utilizing the space. The survey was later completed by over 150 students. 

“The survey was given to the Redwood leadership group, the Architecture students, the Redwood [Advance Via Individual Determination] classes, all four grade levels and the Redwood [Student Led Anti-Racist Movement] (SLAM) class,” Zargar said.

The new model includes comfy-cozy nooks for students to enjoy, as opposed to the current “shabby” and dated wooden chairs.

An additional survey was given to a majority of the Redwood staff. The second survey was designed by Redwood architecture students in order to have a better understanding of their needs in regards to designing a more modern and comfortable library. 

One Workplace is the leading group working on the interior design of the library. The company specializes in designing workplaces for companies, schools and libraries. About a year ago, One Workplace had already begun the process of creating a much more refreshed and leaner selection of library books.

“We have been working with One Workplace to design the [interior of the] library, which includes the purchasing of new furniture, including desks, chairs and bookshelves,” Zargar said. “We’re also working with the district’s maintenance operations department to redo the carpet and paint in the [library] this summer.”

The library improvements will create a more open and put-together space for diverse academic activities.

“[It is planned] to have a wider, more open space for staff meetings. [The designers and students also] want to have more cozy nooks and crannies where the students can sit in comfy chairs and do work,” Savastano said.

Sophomore Jack Ngarimu is one of the frequent students in the library and looks forward to the new renovations. 

“I go to the library during most of my free periods–sometimes in the morning and at lunch,” Ngarimu said. “It sets the environment for doing work, tutoring and other [activities].”

As the board finalizes the design, models or visuals are still being worked on and are not yet available to the public.