The case for no PE requirement for student athletes
Jake PostApril 28, 2024

Three days a week, students in their freshman and sophomore years at Redwood spend a period in Physical Education (PE) class for a combined 144...

Illustration by Nina Baker
The AI takeover: A less capable generation
Nina BakerApril 28, 2024

“The pace of progress in artificial intelligence is incredibly fast…The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five-year...

Doctors, nurses and technicians of the Marin Health Hospital laugh and entertain one another with silly faces (Photo courtesy of Dr. Grom).
Behind the scrubs: Doctor Eddie Grom’s journey to becoming an accomplished ER doctor
Kate BarkerApril 28, 2024

Chest pains, headaches, sprains and burns are common ailments warranting a trip to the local emergency room. There, doctors rush tirelessly to...

Blues bliss: Annual ‘Night of Blues’ comes to Redwood on March 15

On March 15, the Intermediate Performance Workshop (IPW), Advanced Performance Workshop (APW) and Jazz Band will transform the Covered Eating Area (CEA) into a bright and lively stage for students to eat, sing, dance and celebrate good music. This Friday marks the second annual Night of Blues event since the three-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The performance will highlight talent from APW, IPW and Jazz Band. Students from the music department are eager to showcase their musical skills with their peers and contribute to the vibrant environment. 

Dancing and singing under the lights, students enjoy the musical performances at last year’s Night of Blues. (Photo by Aanika Sawhney)

Night of Blues has taken place for over 15 years and has evolved from a classier gala event, to a more casual performance, in both cases  where students have the opportunity to bond over their appreciation and shared love for music. This year, students, parents and staff will gather from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. to enjoy dozens of songs and various artists. Students who have previously attended Night of Blues describe the environment as being eccentric, lively and full of talent. 

Freshman Elsie Schroeder is a singer in IPW and is excited to participate in her first Night of Blues. Schroeder describes the special opportunity the night offers in watching her peers perform. 

“Seeing fellow students and your friends perform is a really awesome experience. It’s a night for dancing, singing and having a fun ‘night out’ but at your school,” Schroeder said. “It is one of the best music events of the year and usually sells out.”

Ina Gotlieb is a Redwood parent and also the president of the Music Boosters, a group of parents that leads fundraisers to help support the music program at Redwood. Having attended previous Night of Blues events to support the music department and her son, Gottlieb emphasizes the communal spirit that Night of Blues fosters. The celebration is not just about the students showcasing their skills; it’s about encouraging community involvement and participation.

“[Students] want to open up the music program for the entire school community to join, getting people to dance and be a part of the celebration as opposed to sitting in their seats and watching,” Gottlieb said.  

The Night of Blues flyer contains all the information necessary for those who wish to attend.

Senior and APW student Ian Krumwiede will be playing the piano and singing at the upcoming Night of Blues. Krumwiede notes the dedication and hard work that his peers have invested in the months leading up to the event. Krumwiede and his classmates have devoted three days a week as well as every lunch in recent weeks to practicing their performances to reach perfection. Krumwiede describes how this hard work then lends itself to creating a fun and spirited atmosphere at Night of Blues. 

“Last year, Night of Blues felt like a big party. It wasn’t something that students felt they had to be there for but rather everyone wanted to be there and have a good time,” Krumwiede said. 

Tickets are on sale for ten dollars on the Redwood Eventbrite website, but may also be purchased in person for an increased price of $15. The tickets will include snacks as well as food from World Wrapps. Music students alike are eager to sing and dance along to songs with their peers, and can assure those who attend that they will not be “feeling blue” after attending this year’s Night of Blues.