Redwood drama comes together for the One Act Festival
Gabriella Rouas, • April 27, 2024

On April 27 at 7 p.m., the drama department will come together to showcase the hard work and skills they have learned to the broader community...

A dough-licious journey: Donut Shops of Marin
Jackson Gurvich and Luke TemperoApril 27, 2024

Nothing is better than starting your day with a donut from your local donut shop. Marin County has many great donut establishments that...

The strings on Congressman Jared Huffman’s racket break as he returns a serve from senior Jackson Sichel.
Congressman Jared Huffman visits boys’ varsity tennis practice after MCAL championship
Matthew KnauerApril 27, 2024

The boys’ varsity tennis team has enjoyed an eventful past two weeks. On Wednesday, April 17, they beat the Archie Williams Falcons 7-0...

Design your own jewelry at Silverwork Studios

Located in the Northgate Mall in San Rafael, Silverwork Studios opens a door into handmade jewelry making. The studio was founded by Amy Fitzgerald and Kelly Konis, who took a jewelry workshop class and fell in love with the creative experience. Inspired by the workshop, they left their jobs and opened their own jewelry-making studio. 

Silverwork Studios offers a plethora of options from bracelets, necklaces, rings and earrings. The studio provides a detailed hands-on experience with jewelry-making professionals there to help you. If you don’t want to make your own piece, you can buy ones made by other customers or even get permanent jewelry, which is soldered onto your wrist so it doesn’t come off.

The studio is very open and lets the natural light in which makes the jewelry sparkle. It is set up into working stations, so you’ll have your own space during the process. The jewelry specialists are super friendly and are there to help you create your dream piece of jewelry. 

Silverwork Studios offers a plethora of sparkling multicolored gemstones.

With the variety of colorful gemstones, the possibilities are endless. They provide affordable and more expensive gemstones. Depending on the size and type of stone, a bracelet could range from $75 to $185. They also have a huge add-on menu that includes gold-filled additions and a small stone connector. You can create anything that you dream of. You can use gold, original silver and even rose gold to create your piece. 

Silverwork Studios offers beginners a chance to create their own unique piece of jewelry. First, I picked my design and what type of stone I wanted. Next, I formed my shape: a silver cuff with two small stones. I made sure to smooth out the metals as well. After I completed those steps, I got to work on the setting. The setting is measured to fit your stone and that has to be soldered to create a secure bond with the original shape of your piece. 

The professionals are there to help and make this process easy and safe. If you’re feeling extra creative, you can even add your own stamp to the inside of the piece. Once the soldering process is done, they put it into a “pickle solution” that makes sure everything is secure and clean. Lastly, I added gemstone and viola! A beautiful bracelet. My final product looked amazing and it goes with any piece of jewelry that I own. This process was so relaxing and created a heightened passion for jewelry and the creative experience. Even though it was a little bit pricey for the average high school student, it’s worth your money and it will create an everlasting memory. 

At the stamp machine, The Branson School junior Sabine Fuchs creates a monogram stamp.

If you’re looking for a weekend activity or even a date night idea, Silverwork Studios is the perfect option for something different to get the creative juices flowing. They offer so many pieces that it can even be hard to choose from, but when you do, it’s an amazing experience. Silverwork Studios offers classes during the week and even some weekend jewelry-making camps.