Freshman Haley Boyarski extends her arms to block a spike (Photo courtesy of Kim Wagner)
Setting the standard: Positivity in beach volleyball
Caroline VeleyMay 1, 2024

As the warm Spring weather approaches, many indoor volleyball players look for an alternative sport to fill their schedule while enjoying the...

Starting at Oracle Park, Solle fires a fastball towards home plate. Photo by Graham Weir.
Sports Spotlight: The Solle show
Jake PostMay 1, 2024

Rex Solle is a familiar name among Redwood students and local baseball fans. As a senior, the varsity baseball player is looking to add to his...

Illustration by Natalie Vinogradsky
Leveling the playing field: Equality for girls' basketball
Paige EdelenApril 30, 2024

Every year, the Marin County Athletic League (MCAL) championship boys’ basketball game occurs, attracting crowds from all over Marin. Students,...

Plant your curiosity in Golden Gate Park

As the spring season approaches, let’s slow down and appreciate the one-of-a-kind nature that surrounds us. Nestled within the bustling streets of San Francisco, Golden Gate Park’s beautiful gardens offer a unique sanctuary. Originally built upon sand dunes in 1870, the park now offers a plethora of both free and ticketed gardens,, such as the Conservatory of Flowers, Botanical Gardens and the Rhododendron Gardens. 

Conservatory of Flowers

Originally built in 1878 using wood and glass, the Conservatory of Flowers is the oldest building in Golden Gate Park, and the oldest public conservatory in the United States. Viewers are granted access inside once they purchase entry tickets, which are priced at $8 for youth (ages 12-17) and $15 for adults (18+). Once inside, viewers are immersed in an environment packed with tropical plants from South America, Asia and Africa. With humidifiers, pre-recorded sounds of a jungle, and breathtaking and rare plant species, one can’t help but feel transported into a tropical habitat. If you aren’t in the mood to spend money on a ticket, the Conservatory also plants flowers and shrubs along the exterior of the building. 

Tree Fern Dell

Inspired by prehistoric vegetation, this shaded outdoor garden holds many plant species. Most notable are are the Tasmanian tree ferns, which are native to New Zealand and have fossil records dating back millions of years. The Tree Fern Dell is located across from the Conservatory of Flowers and offers minimal foliage compared to the colorful blooms in the Park’s surrounding gardens. This free and public garden free and public garden is a must-see spot when exploring Golden Gate Park.

Rhododendron Dell 

This Rhododendron garden is a 20-acre site located in the center of Golden Gate Park. Built to honor the life of expert plant cultivator John Mclaren, the garden holds 850 types of rhododendrons, his favorite flower. From enjoying a brisk walk along many intricate paths or stopping at one of the benches to observe the varieties of this stunning flower, this free and public garden is the perfect spot. Those wishing to experience the rhododendron in bloom should wait until spring to visit. 

While Golden Gate Park holds many attractions, its gardens are unique and often overlooked. They provide a tranquil oasis and provide a tranquil oasis and give viewers a glimpse into the wonders of the natural world. Make sure not to miss out on this amazing and affordable attraction the next time you find yourself out and about in San Francisco!