Illustration by Charlotte Wilson
Student Phones: Addictive by Design
Elle Wilson May 2, 2024

After a long day of school and a tiring field hockey practice, I arrive home. I have a test tomorrow and a pile of homework waiting for me....

Freshman Haley Boyarski extends her arms to block a spike (Photo courtesy of Kim Wagner)
Setting the standard: Positivity in beach volleyball
Caroline Veley May 1, 2024

As the warm Spring weather approaches, many indoor volleyball players look for an alternative sport to fill their schedule while enjoying the...

Starting at Oracle Park, Solle fires a fastball towards home plate. Photo by Graham Weir.
Sports Spotlight: The Solle show
Jake Post May 1, 2024

Rex Solle is a familiar name among Redwood students and local baseball fans. As a senior, the varsity baseball player is looking to add to his...

Swoon-worthy surprises: The ultimate gift guide for your Valentine

Valentine’s Day is typically a time full of love and celebration. However, the panic that can come with finding the perfect gift for your special someone could cloud the holiday with stress and anxiety. But fear not; there is a solution! Here is a list of gift ideas for all budgets to help kick-start your creativity. 

Heartfelt and Relatively Free 

One of the most difficult parts of finding a good gift is keeping it within your budget. If you have a lot of time but not a lot of money, there are several great options for you to put a smile on that special someone’s face. 

1. Make a personalized board game: break out the arts and crafts to make a unique game of Guess Who or Headbands using photos of friends and family. 
  2. ‘Open When’ Cards: pull out a pen and paper and make a series of cards for them to open in the future, spanning from ‘Open When You Need A Hug’ to ‘Open When You Miss Your Family.’ 
  3. Write a Card: this gesture is timeless and greatly appreciated. It is one of those gifts where it is impossible to go wrong. 

Simple Celebrations

If you’re looking for something more casual and comforting, there are several successful paths that you can take. Sometimes, simply reconnecting with your partner can be the perfect way to celebrate. Here are some simple ideas that can make your time together just a bit more special. 

1. Flowers: start the day off with a bouquet that is certain to put a smile on their face. 
  2. Grab a coffee: surprise them with a gift card to their favorite coffee shop, or go out and grab the coffee yourself. Either way, caffeine is likely a straight path to their heart. 
  3. Get a Squishmallow: no matter someone’s age, an adorable and stress-relieving stuffed animal never goes out of style. Run to your local Target and get them a comfy Squishmallow that will always remind them of you. 

Special Splurges

If you’re looking to go above and beyond but aren’t quite sure what direction to head in, you’re in the right place. There are several unique and classy gifts to get your significant other that will remain special to them for many years to come. 

1. Jewelry: a Valentine’s Day staple that will always be a tradition. Here’s a tip – if you don’t know much about jewelry, head to Nordstrom or Gorjana and ask for help from the sales associate (and make sure you know whether your valentine prefers gold or silver jewelry). 
  2. High-quality hoodie or sweats: hop online and go to Aritzia, Madhappy, Skims or Essentials to find the perfect comfy outfit that will be sure to make their day. You can never go wrong with a cozy sweatsuit. 
  3. Hair or nail appointment: spoil your special someone with a gift card to their favorite spa or salon. You will surely be their favorite person when they leave the appointment.