Twelve seniors were presented with awards to recognize their commitment to being outstanding high school athletes (Photo by Zoe Gister).
Redwood senior athletes recognized in new venue celebration
Charlotte LacyMay 30, 2024

On May 20, senior athletes, parents and coaches gathered at Sam’s Anchor Cafe in Tiburon to recognize and celebrate the seniors committed...

Smiling and holding their floats, seniors make the most of their lunch.
Seniors stay a-float for senior week
Hannah HerbstMay 29, 2024

On Tuesday, May 28, after a long Memorial Day Weekend and with only twelve more academic days left of school, leadership kicked off Senior...

Boys’ varsity baseball marks history with first-ever state playoff victory
Will ParsonsMay 29, 2024

On May 28, the Giants’ varsity baseball team took on the Carmel Padres in the first Norcal state playoff game in the program’s history. The...

A preview of the flavors of Buvette Du Marais

With the recent opening of Souvla and Loveski Deli, it is obvious that Marin Country Mart is expanding its culinary offerings. In addition to these previously mentioned eateries, the Mart is soon opening its doors to a traditional French restaurant, Buvette Du Marais. Founded by Patrick Ascaso, the establishment aims to infuse French culinary influences from Ascaso’s childhood with the vibrant California palate. Currently, Le Marais has a location in Mill Valley, so I visited this location as a way to preview the restaurant before it opens in Larkspur. With the diverse menu of pastries and breakfast to entrees and dinners, I opted to sample a mix of the most popular dishes to properly understand the restaurant’s overall essence.

With its golden brown coating, the fluffy croissant showcases Le Marais’s ability to perfect their pastries.

Croissant

To get an initial understanding of the pastries, I felt it was only fair to ordera French staple, the croissant. Le Marais’s croissants are freshly baked daily, contributing to their high quality. From first glance, the croissant’s golden brown coating is visible alongside its voluminous height. The flavor was simple, but with the combined crunch from the crispy outside and the freshness of the center, the croissant showcased the perfect recipe Le Marais has achieved. Overall, the rating it receives is 8/10.

Vibrant in color from the array of mixed fruit, Le Marais’s French toast is warmly served.

French Toast

This expertly presented dish showcased thick slices of golden-brown brioche, promising a perfect blend of crisp exterior and pillowy interior. Each forkful revealed a culinary masterpiece—a rich, buttery texture harmoniously infused with a sweet melody of vanilla and cinnamon. Topped with real maple syrup and powdered sugar, the dish achieved an exquisitely balanced sweetness. Versatile toppings from fresh berries to whipped cream added a personalized touch to the experience. The Brioche French Toast transcended the ordinary, offering a decadent journey of flavors and textures. Overall, this dish receives an

8.5/10

The avocado croissant sandwich: a crispy golden croissant topped with avocado, rich creme fraiche and two sunny-side-up eggs.

Avocado Croissant Toast

​​ For my culinary finale, I indulged in the avocado croissant sandwich. It had a crispy croissant base topped with avocado, creme fraiche and two eggs sunny side up. The decision to use Le Marais’s crisp croissant was bold but turned out to be a great one. The combination of the perfectly cooked eggs, creamy creme fraiche and avocado made it my favorite meal. It was filling and balanced with both veggies and carbs. Out of everything I’ve tried, I happily give this dish the highest rating of 9.5/10.