The case for no PE requirement for student athletes
Jake PostApril 28, 2024

Three days a week, students in their freshman and sophomore years at Redwood spend a period in Physical Education (PE) class for a combined 144...

Illustration by Nina Baker
The AI takeover: A less capable generation
Nina BakerApril 28, 2024

“The pace of progress in artificial intelligence is incredibly fast…The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five-year...

Doctors, nurses and technicians of the Marin Health Hospital laugh and entertain one another with silly faces (Photo courtesy of Dr. Grom).
Behind the scrubs: Doctor Eddie Grom’s journey to becoming an accomplished ER doctor
Kate BarkerApril 28, 2024

Chest pains, headaches, sprains and burns are common ailments warranting a trip to the local emergency room. There, doctors rush tirelessly to...

A Festival of Lights at the Marin Country Mart

On Sunday, Dec. 10, a significant celebration of the Festival of Lights unfolded at the Marin Country Mart to celebrate the fourth night of Hanukkah. Coordinated by the Brandeis Marin community, many attendees gathered to witness the ceremonial lighting of the Hanukiah, accompanied by musical performances from students. This marked the first occurrence of the event since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, with the community recognizing its temporal importance.

In the crowd, eventgoers listen to a variety of music. (Photo courtesy of Anya Shuteroff)

Pamela Welner, Brandeis Marin’s Director of Enrollment, played a crucial role in organizing the event and expressed satisfaction with its execution.

“This year, we made the decision to revive our winter event because we felt the community [needed] it, especially given recent circumstances,” Welner said.

The event allowed families to watch performances by student bands and choirs, create homemade Hanukiah, enjoy complimentary hot chocolate, enjoy sufganiyot (Jelly donuts) from Johnny Doughnuts, and latkes from Loveski the new Jewish restaurant in the Marin Country Mart.

“Even though this is not a major holiday in the Torah, we still love to celebrate it with a lot of passion because it is about community and being with family. Trying to compete with Christmas is sometimes difficult, so it is great to get the kids involved,” Welner said.

Volunteers hand out complimentary hot chocolate at the event.

As the holiday unfolds, it serves as a time for reflection on the year and emphasizes the importance of being close to loved ones. Redwood parent Christine Leppones had both of her children go through the Brandeis Marin schooling system from kindergarten to eighth grade and stressed the significance of the holiday this year. 

“Many people in the world right now are not able to celebrate this joyous holiday,” Leppones said. “It is extremely important that we recognize how lucky we are to be able to celebrate this year, but we need to keep in mind those who can’t.”