The case for no PE requirement for student athletes
Jake PostApril 28, 2024

Three days a week, students in their freshman and sophomore years at Redwood spend a period in Physical Education (PE) class for a combined 144...

Illustration by Nina Baker
The AI takeover: A less capable generation
Nina BakerApril 28, 2024

“The pace of progress in artificial intelligence is incredibly fast…The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five-year...

Doctors, nurses and technicians of the Marin Health Hospital laugh and entertain one another with silly faces (Photo courtesy of Dr. Grom).
Behind the scrubs: Doctor Eddie Grom’s journey to becoming an accomplished ER doctor
Kate BarkerApril 28, 2024

Chest pains, headaches, sprains and burns are common ailments warranting a trip to the local emergency room. There, doctors rush tirelessly to...

A Grinch’s perspective on Christmas music

I do not celebrate Christmas. I’m rather practiced at dreidel, and I prefer Adam Sandler’s “Hanukkah Song,” if you catch my drift. For further clarification, look at my last name on the byline. Thus, I feel like I can objectively evaluate Christmas music, free of any nostalgia or warm associations.  

All I Want for Christmas Is You: Mariah Carey

This song sports outstanding vocals, and the bells in the background are a pleasant touch. It’s a nice romantic song and checks a lot of the boxes for holiday music! Santa reference? Check. Reindeers? Check. Mistletoe? Check. It’s got it all. However, the references to the myth of Santa make it less appealing to me. A grown woman singing about asking Santa for a (at least I’d hope) grown man feels odd. Come on? Just me?

Mariah Carey’s album, “Merry Christmas II you” is one of the most recognizable sounds of the Christmas season. (Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons)

Santa Tell Me: Ariana Grande 

It’s nice enough; it’s fine. It’s not offensive by any means. The lyrics are just a tad repetitive, it’s the same line over and over. Over and over. Over and over. Over and over. Musically, it’s okay, enjoyable even, as background music perhaps. 

Jingle Bell Rock: Bobby Helms

I really like this one and the opening riff is nothing short of iconic. Am I biased by its association with “Mean Girls?” Perhaps. It simply makes me jolly, what can I say? It is just so catchy. It makes me want to clap!

Bing Crosby is responsible for one of the most iconic Christmas albums ever. (Image courtesy of GetArchive)

It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas: Michael Bublé

God, it’s like Bublé just gets me. I might not celebrate Christmas, but who doesn’t like the lights wrapped around trees on every street? Or candy canes? Or wreaths? It’s that slight nip in the air, the time of year everyone starts to wear pants, even the “shorts-only” boys. It really is a magical season. Bublé captures that perfectly in this song, a kind of secular music that almost anyone can enjoy! 

Drummer Boy: Justin Bieber

Nails on a chalkboard. The lyrics are crimes against Christianity. “Yeah I’m on the beat ‘cause the beat goes dumb.” Come on. Justin might be “surprised you didn’t hear this in the Bible,” but I am certainly not. Yes, that’s a real line. No, you should not listen to it just for chuckles. 

Silent Night: Bing Crosby

Listening to Bing Crosby croon is like an auditory version of watching old Disney movies by a crackling fire. It’s comforting, soothing and oddly lullaby-like. It’s angelic, really. They really don’t make music like this anymore. What a shame. 

All in all, there is plenty of good Christmas music to listen to, but also some Justin Bieber-sized musical landmines. Avoid them at all costs, or else your eardrums will rupture. If you ask me, an objective source, I’d advise everyone to stick to the classics. The Christmas season doesn’t just have to appeal to those who celebrate the holiday, so don’t turn yourself off to songs with a touch of Christian rhetoric or else you’ll be missing out on some pure gems. Whether you like Christmas trees, menorahs or neither, enjoy some solid music this season.