FDA approves Opill; The lens into the world of reproductive rights
Hailey Carlton and Annie BurlingameMay 16, 2024

From IUDs to Depo-Provera shots, and to the original pill (Plan-B), birth control has evolved substantially since its debut in May of 1950....

Photo Essay: Students celebrate the fifth annual Wellness Festival
Lauren OlsenMay 12, 2024

On Saturday, May 11, the Marin County Youth Commision (MCYC) hosted their fifth annual Wellness Festival for middle school and...

The Giants won their first MCAL banner since 2018.
Back at the top: Boys’ varsity baseball knocks off San Marin to claim MCAL banner
Gil Ladetzky and Hayden DonehowerMay 11, 2024

As the boys’ varsity baseball team entered the 2024 Marin County Athletic League (MCAL) championship game against San Marin, the bitter...

School board meeting opens forum for public comments responding to racial incident

On Nov. 14, the Tamalpais Union High School District (TUHSD) Board of Trustees hosted a meeting addressing various racial concerns that have been brought to surface in recent weeks.

On Nov. 7 an email was sent to students and parents from Superintendent Tara Taupier.

These racial concerns are best understood in the context of a recording depicting Tamalpais High School (Tam) students repeatedly saying the N-word. This student was accompanied by various student members of TUHSD, laughing and finding humor in the situation. The video spread quickly amongst students and staff, prompting a school walkout organized by the presidents of the Black Student Union at Tam. An email sent from superintendent Tara Taupier to students and parents on Nov. 7 initially responded to the incident.

During the Board meeting, mother and advisor of the Tam Black Student Union Angela Carter took to the stand to express her frustration in a public comment.

Speaking to Marin IJ reporter, Carter held her son during her public comment. (Photo by Aanika Sawhney)

“I want to re-emphasize, while we appreciate some of the work that’s been done, my son, James, is two years old and will be here in 12 years, and I don’t want to have this conversation with him. He is black. My black husband was a Tam student and faced racism back in 2007, I don’t want him to experience the same thing. As was said in the last meeting with our community, enough is enough. I don’t want to apologize that this keeps happening decade after decade,” Carter said.

Additionally, Gregory Wilker, a volunteer for the TUHSD Racial Justice Task Force made an appearance at the meeting and expressed his opinion. During a private interview, Wilker highlighted the importance of education and acknowledged an evident issue constantly surrounding incidents concerning race. 

Gregory Wilker takes notes while speakers present their perspectives to the board. (Photo by Aanika Sawhney)

“One of my friends, who’s a mother and a woman of color, said part of her challenge is that white people in Marin County don’t even know there’s an issue,” Wilker said. 

Cathy Flores, San Andreas High School Principal and TUHSD Sr. Director of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging, spoke on the district’s new plan called the “Stop and Learn” which has been implemented at Tam and will be completed across the district by the end of the semester at all schools.

“The Stop and Learn that is occurring right now is going to be addressing racist and dehumanizing language and specifically targeting the N-word, the history of it and why it is so damaging,” Flores said. “We want all of our students to see the humanity in everyone and the value of all of our people and peers.”