Student volunteer pushes a cart full of recovered food at the San Rafael Farmers Market to contribute to ExtraFood’s goal to end food waste (Photo courtesy of ExtraFood).
ExtraFood tackles the job to end food waste and hunger since 2013
Scarlett MusgroveApril 24, 2024

Marin is the fourth wealthiest county in the Bay Area and yet a significant portion of its population is struggling with hunger, according...

Gravity thrills viewers with breathtaking visuals

The anxiety and urgency involved with trying to survive in outer space is an incredibly real experience as portrayed in the new sci-fi thriller, Gravity, released on Oct. 4.

Directed by Alfonso Cuaron, the film starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney is jam-packed with stunning visuals and incredible special effects, consuming the viewer in a way that few films can.

Gravity follows the journey of two astronauts in a struggle to survive in space after a disaster damages their space shuttle.

Courtesy of Warner Bros.
Courtesy of Warner Bros.

The film comes off as strikingly realistic considering it takes place entirely in outer space. The use of up-close camera angles let viewers experience things from Bullock’s perspective at times and forces the viewers to form an emotional investment in the characters.

The clear and unfaltering special effects  are what really bring Gravity to life. Unlike other space movies that take on a fantasy element, like Star Wars, Gravity captures the actual job of NASA astronauts.

It is incredibly gripping to watch what the wreckage of a space shuttle in outer space would look like in seemingly such true to life detail.

Bullock portrays her character, a medical engineer and first time space traveler named Ryan Stone, flawlessly. She performs fluidly and believable through both calm, dialogue filled scenes and action-packed, effect-laden scenes alike.

Clooney’s performance as a confident and experienced astronaut with wittily narcissistic humor brilliantly contrasts the novice of Bullock’s character. Though there are stretches of the film that focus solely on Bullock’s character, the chemistry between Clooney and Bullock lights up the screen when they are both present and gives the film a warm touch.

Another standout element of the film is the sound. No sounds came across as regular as they would on Earth throughout the film. The attention to sound detail, such as the sound of tools being used in space and voices sharing dialogue over the intercoms of the astronauts’ space suits is entirely unique.

Cuaron made the choice to keep the element of sound scientifically accurate throughout the film. With the help of composer Steven Price, a soundtrack was developed with an original spin that would make up for the absence of natural sound in space.

Instead of the cliché shrieking strings or pounding drums that build suspense and reinforce action sequences, Gravity, utilizes heavy ominous tones free of percussion to convey the intended emotions of each scene.

Though it is not the most spectacular film in recent years, it is definitely one of the best of its genre, which earns it four stars out of five.